Desktops forum

General discussion

How much RAM is enough RAM?

by graffixguy / September 15, 2004 7:03 AM PDT

Help. I am a graphic designer looking to expand my capabilities into video editing/animation. Looking for a new Desktop with all the bells and whistles, and mega power to run all my Adobe programs plus all the new video editing software I'll be adding on to my existing bounty of programs.

I need to run several design programs simultaneously without losing speed and without crashing. And bear in mind that programs like Adobe's Illustrator and Photoshop grab memory and drive space to run their graphic filtering programs. I've read all the articles on what a super-charged desktop requires and I have a good idea of the specs required for what I need to buy. Well...sort of. I've been looking at the Sony VAIO VGC-RA810G which is supposed to be a state-of-the-art machine made for media work(favorably reviewed here by CNET 8/3/2004) BUT it apparently has a RAM upgrade limitation of 2 gigs. Should this be a dealbreaker for me? I want the system to last me a few years. Is 2 gigs of RAM an insane amount? Will I ever need more? I have seen some systems (like the Velocity Media series) that are upgradable to 8 or 9 gigs of RAM or more. Will the video/design technology require more than 2 gigs of RAM to produce high end work? Or am I just worrying about something that will never even matter to the efficiency of my system? I am confused and need some clarity. Any advice greatly appreciated. Any other desktop recommendations for my specific needs would be welcome too. THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much RAM is enough RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much RAM is enough RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How much RAM is enough RAM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

For example, a DVD creation software created identical DVDs in 6 hours. The clone of the machine with 1G ram (the other had 512MB) finished 5 minutes sooner.

For that, the extra 512MB was not paying off. I would have expected better because the DVD image is... 4.7GB.

As to this machine lasting you years, you should buy what you need today since tomorrow we see dual-core 64-bit machines in just a month or two.

Collapse -
Re: How much RAM is enough RAM?
by graffixguy / September 16, 2004 1:47 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply and example. But are DVD creation and video editing equitable functions? I've been told that video editing will require massive amounts of ram. I'm trying to ascertain if this is true or not. If I buy a computer and 2g of ram means I can only edit a video 30 minutes in length or less than I will regret spending $2,000 on such a purchase. The operating system is going to leech a certain amount of that ram already, so I am concerned if ram size is important that 2gs may be too little.

Collapse -
Yes, DVD creation is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 8:45 PM PDT

Such is very much like video editing. In fact, it's more demanding than the video editing to us because it takes so long. The machines are clones of each other and we have taken a 512M stick from one to the other with "not much" difference in any application.

1G buys you bragging rights though.

Collapse -
Re: Yes, DVD creation is...
by graffixguy / September 16, 2004 11:41 PM PDT

Thanks Bob. Thats exactly the information I needed to be able to go out tomorrow and buy this machine with confidence. Thats a huge relief. This forum has been immensely valuable.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?