HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How much RAM for Windows Vista?

by darkdestiny7 / October 9, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I'm going to have a new computer soon. It'll be a shared computer.

I just would like to ask, how much RAM and memory space would be recommended (a must have) for a shared computer with 5 accounts?

I've got a similar computer with Windows XP with 512MB, and it can take up to 10 minutes to log in into an account.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much RAM for Windows Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much RAM for Windows Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) 2GB.
by rpoof / October 9, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
I recommend at least 1GB...
by John.Wilkinson / October 9, 2007 10:58 AM PDT

1.) 512MB is the base requirement, 1GB is the standard recommendation, and 2GB if you wish to multitask or handle multimedia, such as watching DVDs. 2GB is particularly beneficial if you have integrated graphics or graphics cards that rely on shared memory.

2.) The number of accounts doesn't matter unless you wish to be logged into all of them at the same time.

3.) The 10-minute boot indicates a problem beyond limited RAM. (512MB is sufficient.) Check the startup processes through msconfig and disable what isn't needed. Also make sure all updates are installed and you're clean of malware.

John

Collapse -
Thanks
by darkdestiny7 / October 9, 2007 10:12 PM PDT

I understand that there's a lot of processes in that shared computer. We don't do anything much with DVDs, but games is probably the most common thing ever done, and a bit on multimedia. I've seen 1.5GB computers too.

As for malware in my old comp I don't know. BUT I know that computer's clogged with lots of adware, which is seriously needed to get rid of. That old comp was rarely scanned, and clogged with data too (never defragment as less than 10% free space.

Collapse -
Agree with John
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2007 11:08 AM PDT

I would say 1GB is the minimum you want to have, and 1.5-2GB would be recommended for RAM.

Collapse -
New computers are coming out with 2 GB,
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 11:10 AM PDT

I had problems with 1 GB, moved up to two, more maybe needed, possible 4, Vista is a RAM hog, Check your OS if you install more then three GBs, entry level editions can only run limited amounts of RAM.

Collapse -
Additional information
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

These are maximum RAM installation as per each Windows version.

See Link, scroll down to physical memory limits: Windows Vista

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

Warning: I also saw many references to problems installing 4GB RAM on x64 versions of Vista but nothing concerning this problem with x86 versions of Vista. You might wish to research this further if your intending to get a 64 bit version of Vista.

Collapse -
Not intending to get additional RAM but...
by darkdestiny7 / October 10, 2007 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional information

Thanks for the information. I've already learnt of this when I was reading the statistics of my XP laptop.

Collapse -
(NT) OK
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 11:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
No longer getting Windows Vista... at least for this year
by darkdestiny7 / October 25, 2007 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

My siblings and I will have to stay with XP in both our computers (plus my laptop). According to the sales person which my father spoke to at a retail store just some days ago, many programs, especially commonly used ones, are already compatible with Windows Vista (but some games are not compatible which means a switch to Vista would render the games useless T_T). He too said that Microsoft will NO LONGER SUPPORT WINDOWS XP FROM NEXT YEAR ONWARDS, saying that they had already supported it for 8 years. Is that true?

But I would rather wait for the new Windows version to come out in about 2 years time than buy Windows Vista.

Just too bad my brother will not be able to play his Warcraft 3 in the future, when all our computers are Vista (or the newer version).

Collapse -
I've heard XP will be around for 5-7 years
by Dango517 / October 26, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

till OS 7 is released about then. I would suspect that this is mostly hear say.

Collapse -
In time
by BrianZachary / October 26, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

In time, programs that are not compatible with Vista should become more compatible with Vista as they send out updates and whatnot. Vista is still a new OS and they are still working out some of the kinks and tweaks that are needed. This is why I don't upgrade to new OS's when they first come out. Give them time to get Vista "worthy" of upgrading to.

I have been using XP for awhile and have no desire to upgrade to Vista at the present time. I'm very comfortable with XP and don't feel I will need to upgrade until XP stops working, even if Microsoft stops supporting XP, that won't stop me from using XP. Microsoft hasn't supported Windows 98 in a while now but there are still people using it.

So use whatever you want and don't feel like you have to upgrade just because "everybody else" is.

Collapse -
Got an old laptop
by darkdestiny7 / October 26, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: In time

that, up to now, is still up and running with Windows 95. Silly

If that's true, then I can "rest in peace" in the next couple of years with my own laptop. I was thinking about getting a new one with Vista in about 4-5 years from now (not to say there are some things that will happen in between.)

Collapse -
Microsoft Extends Windows XP Support To 2014
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.