HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How much RAM do I have?

by JJ609 / January 27, 2008 12:56 PM PST

I was thinking abut getting new RAM for my computer, but before committing to the sale on Amazon.com I ran Belarc Advisor. It says that I have 1024K of RAM, but then it says there is 1024K in A0 and 1024K in A1, with A2 and A3 empty. Now, should one of those sticks be in A2 so that I actually have 2MB of RAM? Also, my computer is around 2 years old. Would it be worth it to buy new RAM? I'm thinking of a pair of Corsair sticks. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much RAM do I have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much RAM do I have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That can't be right...
by John.Wilkinson / January 27, 2008 1:05 PM PST

Adding up A0 and A1 doesn't equal the total, but more than that you're talking KB adding up to MB when every every computer in the last two years should have at least 512MB. (Correct those units to make that 1024MB = 1GB)

To clear it up, press Windows + R and typewinver before clicking OK. At the bottom it should state how much physical RAM is present, in KB.

Then, when determine upgrade options, find you either the motherboard or computer make/model number...there's always a limit to the amount of RAM it can handle.

John

Collapse -
Okay, GB instead of MB, Thanks...
by JJ609 / January 27, 2008 5:09 PM PST
In reply to: That can't be right...

...however, when I did the Windows+R and winver I got physical memory of 1,048,048K. Is that what you mean? But, all I want is 2GB of RAM and, as I mentioned, Belarc Advisor only mentions 1GB but says there are sticks in 2 slots. So, do I have 2GB, but one isn't recognized or do I only have 1? Can one stick possible be OTS?

Collapse -
You need. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 27, 2008 7:30 PM PST

to open the case and take a look. Exactly what is in each slot. What is OTS?

Collapse -
Download and run CPU-Z...it will tell you how much RAM
by VAPCMD / January 28, 2008 8:24 AM PST

you have and how much RAM is in each DIMM slot. It's very likely that you have 1 GB total spread over two DIMMs.

If you had posted your system info make/mfg, series and model number we might have been able to comment more specifically.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
What does the scanner at Crucial say?
by PudgyOne / January 28, 2008 10:28 AM PST
Collapse -
I agree that doesn't look right but ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 28, 2008 9:15 AM PST

why download anything if you just want to know "how much"?

open your TaskManager then look at the Performance tab. In the lower right just under the graph you will see the words Physical Memory (in KB) and just under that Total. If the number to the right of the word total is 1047368 you have 1 Gig, if it reads 2094736 you have two Gig. I'm betting on it showing 1047368 as lately Belarc is misreading slot contents on several motherboards I am aware of.

Collapse -
have
by williefst / January 29, 2008 10:44 AM PST

you tried crucial.com? ive heard that they are real good and when you order ram sticks from them, they send you what you order without any problems.

Collapse -
How much RAM do I have?
by dac64man / February 1, 2008 8:20 AM PST

For a Windows XP SP2 machine

1. @ the desktop, click on <start> at the lower left
2. click on "all programs"
3. click on 'accessories'
4. click on "system tools"
5. click on "system info"
6. scroll down until you see "total physical memory"
7. read the result

Collapse -
Checking how much RAM u r running on
by DnshPly9 / February 5, 2008 8:45 PM PST

right click on your My Computer Icon and go to Properties

in General tab you will find Computer Description

Check in which form its written

MB-MegaBytes
GB-Gigabytes(more)

AS i think u might already know about the relation

1GB=1024KB

Collapse -
Resubmitted to check RAM ur runing
by DnshPly9 / February 5, 2008 8:48 PM PST

right click on your My Computer Icon and go to Properties

in General tab you will find Computer Description

Check in which form its written

MB-MegaBytes
GB-Gigabytes(more)

AS i think u might already know about the relation

1GB=1024MB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.