Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How Much RAM Do I Have?

by dcmorris / October 17, 2007 12:24 PM PDT

Vista Home Basic

Purchased laptop with 1GB of RAM. In Control Panel/System it notes "Memory (RAM) 894 MB".
Where is the other 116MB?
I have ordered 2 1GB sticks to boost it to 2GB. Can I expect the listed memory to show 2GB or will it show something less?
The requirements by Microsoft say a minimum of 512MB. Mine is slow with 1GB so I don't see how 512MB would cut it.
Oh well, here's hoping I will see a dramatic imporvement with 2GB.

DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Much RAM Do I Have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Much RAM Do I Have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Integrated graphics, most likely...
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2007 1:23 PM PDT

You do indeed have 1024MB (1GB) of RAM, but the missing 130MB is most likely used by integrated graphics. Well, 128MB of that anyway, with the other 2MB reserved for maintaining the hardware profiles. Even true graphics cards frequently use some RAM as its own memory, but since integrated graphics rarely have dedicated video memory the full amount must come out of your available system memory. After upgrading to 2GB the amount 'missing' will remain the same as it's not proportional to the amount of RAM installed, so you'll have approximately 1918MB to work with. You can also usually adjust the amount of memory allocated towards graphics through your system BIOS, but with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't worry about it.

John

Collapse -
That Was Quick
by dcmorris / October 17, 2007 1:31 PM PDT

Thanks, John. I knew there had to be an explanation but had no idea what it was. You made it all make sense. I'll never live long enough to understand computers but it helps to have these forums to come to and get answers that I actually understand.
Thanks again.

DC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.