MacBooks forum

Question

How Much RAM Can My Macbook Take ???

by musicmad2000 / May 29, 2012 3:08 AM PDT

Hi

I have a 13-inch, Aluminum Macbook 5.1 Late 2008)
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-8500 1066.

How much RAM can this model take ? And what PIN slot does it use 200 or 204 ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Much RAM Can My Macbook Take ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Much RAM Can My Macbook Take ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Check Apple's site
by Jimmy Greystone / May 29, 2012 3:35 AM PDT

Check Apple's site. Go to the support site, find your specific model, then look up the specs. Find the CTO (Configure To Order) column and then match that to the RAM row. That will tell you the maximum amount of RAM that was possible to get loaded from the factory in that model, and means that is the maximum TESTED amount of RAM for that model. It's POSSIBLE that you might be able to go higher, but it's also just as possible that things will not go well if you try going higher. Suffice to say anything above the CTO level is untested and may or may not work. You may even have someone who has the exact same model who manages to get more RAM to work, and it won't work for you.

Collapse -
Mac RAM ???
by musicmad2000 / May 29, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Check Apple's site

Complied with the instructions from the link you gave, went in to (Apple Tech Support) tapped in the MB model and bingo! 4GB is max and 204 pin is the correct bay slot as DDR3 = 204 pin and DDR2 = 200 pin

Thanks for the support Jim.

Mm.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!