Storage forum

General discussion

how much faster are sata drives

by teawoo / June 27, 2005 1:26 PM PDT

I'm upgrading my mobo and cpu, and with the new mobo it has sata drive capabilities. Just how much faster are these drives compared to a 7200 rpm, 8meg cache ide drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how much faster are sata drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how much faster are sata drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can be same speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 10:14 PM PDT
http://www.tomshardware.com did some benchmarks last year and it was the same speed back then. Hopefully it got better, but the bottom line is you need ... benchmarks.

Bob
Collapse -
SATA speed
by jackintucson / June 29, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

Teawoo,

A 10,000 rpm SATA drive will have access speed as low as 3.5 - 4.0 where EIDE drives at 7,200rpm might be 7.0 - 9.0. SATA handles data streams more efficiently. SATA is considered the latest, greatest in data handling but unless you get the 10,000rpm will won't see a real increase in speed.

Jack

Collapse -
Comparing same RPM drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA speed

I find most benchmarks turn in the same seek and other times.

Why compare apples and oranges?

Bob

Collapse -
Not much, "if"
by Willy / July 1, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

On paper the SATA drives are suppose to be better. However, current manufactured SATA are pretty much on par with PATA drives. They'll certainly be offering faster hds and as time goes on will be probably the only hds out there as PATA become phased out. The overall fact is for now they'll not that much difference. But, keep in mind new mtrbds. offer SATA only connections, though some do offer both SATA/PATA connects, higher end mtrbds. are leaning SATA as the primary HD connection.

I still use PATA only because the bargains for PATA is practically giving them away with rebates involved. WOW, a 120gb HD for $49(rebate), geezzzz the days of 20mb Seagate hds were so looooong ago. I digess...

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?