Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How much experience did she really get in Alaska?

by Dan McC / September 27, 2008 10:03 AM PDT
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13736.html

Despite all of the discussion of Sarah Palin?s performance as governor of Alaska, there has been little analysis of the simplest measure of performance: attendance. As Woody Allen said many years ago, ?80 percent of success is just showing up.?

The Washington Post recently reported that, in her first 19 months as governor, Palin billed the state of Alaska per diem charges for 312 days she spent at her home in Wasilla. Palin?s staff has explained that it was appropriate to bill the state for expenses related to Palin staying in her own house because her ?official duty station? was at the state capital of Juneau, where the governor?s official office and mansion are located. But that argument raises a different question: How much time did that leave for her to spend at her ?official duty station??

Nineteen months totals 578 days, but after subtracting weekends and holidays, it is only about 397 workdays. Assuming Palin did not routinely bill the state for staying in her own home on weekends and holidays, she would have spent no more than 85 workdays in the state capital over the course of her 19 months in office, even if she traveled nowhere else in Alaska or outside of the state. That compares with 168 days that the Alaska Legislature was in session during the same period.

Dan
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much experience did she really get in Alaska?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much experience did she really get in Alaska?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More important is the quality of these activities.
by Dango517 / September 27, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

With only a half million people (Many Military personnel) in the State of Alaska and one year of service how can she be qualified to be "one heart beat away from the Presidency". Sorry, does not compute. With that much experience you or I could be President. We may be moving into an unfortunate era where the Nation is lead by incompetents. Are we there already?

Collapse -
(NT) a lot of people do their work at home now.
by James Denison / September 27, 2008 11:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
a lot of people do their work at home now.
by JP Bill / September 27, 2008 12:55 PM PDT

They don't even show up to say "Present"?

Collapse -
The President works out of his home.
by James Denison / September 28, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

Executives don't show up at some legislative assembly just to say "present". They can veto any legislation from anywhere.

Collapse -
That exceeds Mr. Obama's record in the US Senate. Mr. Obama
by Kiddpeat / September 27, 2008 1:44 PM PDT

has been absent about 85% of the time in the last year. When Mr. Obama served in the Illinois legislature, he voted "present" 130 times. Voting "present" is just about the same thing as staying home except that you can charge the state for meals, drinks, and mileage. I haven't yet looked for Mr. Obama's absentee record in the Illinois legislature. Let's just say that he soon began to run for the US Senate.

Oh yes. Cook County recently experienced huge flooding, and was declared a disaster area. Mr. Obama called it in on the phone. He was too busy multitasking in Colorado and Maine.

Collapse -
He really pulled the wool over their eyes
by JP Bill / September 27, 2008 1:54 PM PDT

The Illinois United States Senate election of 2004 was held on November 2, 2004. Democratic candidate Barack Obama defeated Republican candidate Alan Keyes by 70% to 27%

Collapse -
Bear in mind...
by J. Vega / September 27, 2008 2:23 PM PDT

Bear in mind Keyes had moved to the state less than 3 months before the election. He was a last minute substitution for Jack Ryan, who withdrew after the Chicago Tribune managed to get a California court to release previously-sealed child custody records containing embarrassing allegations by Ryan's ex-wife.
With less than 3 months to campaign after a political dirty trick, Keys started off with a terrible time limitation.

Collapse -
Bear in mind also that the Republican "establishment" looked
by Kiddpeat / September 27, 2008 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Bear in mind...

down its collective nose at Keyes. Judy Barr Topinka, who headed the GOP at the time, pretty much campaigned for the Democrat. That says more about the pathetic state of the GOP in Illinois than it does about him. The election also occurred during the era of George Ryan, who now resides in a federal prison in Wisconsin. Ryan did enormous damage to the GOP in Illinois.

Collapse -
Ryan did enormous damage to the GOP in Illinois.
by JP Bill / September 28, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

Nice to see you giving the members of the GOP responsibility for its own misfortune for a change.

Collapse -
Yes, I blame the individual and/or the party when that is
by Kiddpeat / September 28, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

appropriate. It's too bad that those coming from the left seem unable to do the same thing. The mantra on the left seems to be "My party or my agenda right or wrong."

It's interesting that the same blame game is continuously played north of the border.

Collapse -
when that is appropriate.
by JP Bill / September 28, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

me to.

Collapse -
He got my vote
by James Denison / September 28, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Bear in mind...

In the primary here in Maryland for president. I appreciated his efforts to stop Obama in Illinois. I know he got only a small percentage, but was glad to give him the support.

Collapse -
this would be interesting
by WOODS-HICK / September 27, 2008 1:53 PM PDT

if a governor's job was not 24/7/365 days a year.

inform your reporter that governors' do not punch a clock.

also compliment him for his investigative use of the washington post findings in the public record. extra points if he did the calculations in his head or pencil and paper.

BTW gov pataki of new york did not live in the governor's mansion in albany during his 12 years in office. he lived at his personal mansion 1 mile from my house.

the US senate 109 and 110 were in session for a total of 297 days (157/138)when obama announced he was running for president.

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/d_three_sections_with_teasers/congrecord.htm

here some other info: Voting Record

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400629&tab=votes

Collapse -
minor addition
by WOODS-HICK / September 27, 2008 3:52 PM PDT

for non new yorkers.

re: gov pataki NY. his personal mansion is 100 miles from the official residence in the state capital which is albany NY

Collapse -
When push comes to shave, Dan
by Angeline Booher / September 28, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

.... that really won't mean a hill of beans if her ticket wins in November.

I haven't been that happy with the VP we have now, and goodness knows he has been in government for decades.

I admit that I have said on this forum well over a year ago I wasn't sure I was ready for a female president because I have found some females to be vindictive and prone to get even. So that colors my thinking re: Mrs. Palin. Also, I believe she was chosen to mollify the base that was not supportive of Senator McCain, and thus energize his campaign.

I, for one, will wish the new president god health and success.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!