General discussion

How much e-mail spam in a day do you get in your inbox?

-- Nada, zilch, none! (Wow! What's your secret?)
-- 1-10 (Not bad! How do you keep it this low?)
-- 11-50 (How do you deal with them?)
-- 51-100 (How do you deal with them?)
-- 101-300 (How do you deal with them?)
-- 300+ (Are you handing out your e-mail address on the street?)
-- Too many to count! (Maybe time to start over?)

Place your vote here
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How much e-mail spam in a day do you get in your inbox?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How much e-mail spam in a day do you get in your inbox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here's what I do

I get less than 10 spams in my primary email because I never give it out to anyone but people I know and trust. I have another email ID on Yahoo I give out to everybody else. I used to get dozens of spam notes there, but I did a couple of things. First I turned on their spam filter, but that didn't make a lot of difference. So then I set up a new email folder called oldspam and started copying all the spam into that. Suddenly my Yahoo spam dropped dramatically. If I didn't know better, I'd think somebody at Yahoo saw all that spam was just taking up space on their servers, and cut most of it out. Wink Maybe it's pure coincidence, but I don't believe it was.

- Collapse -
junk/spam messages

I rarely get spam messages sent to the my web mail inboxes. But, the email address that I pay for through my Internet Service Provider gets a lot. I mark it all as junk mail and it gets moved to the junk folder. I could call tech support and have my parameters tightened up some; but, when I tried that before, legitimate messages would end up in the junk mail folder. So, I just keep doing what I've been doing all these years.

- Collapse -

I ge upwards to 300. I simply delete them and move on.

- Collapse -
I get solicatations from places I do business with and

have allowed to send offers.
Other than getting on Facebook a couple time a week i do not belong to any other gossip thing that would offer out my email to solicitors.
Used to get tonns of spam but when I shut down the Messenger (only used to connect with the children. Now they have to call. So nice to here their voice) I have zero spam.

- Collapse -
Disposable email addresses

This is how I avoid spam -
1) ensure your main email address is cryptic and not possible to 'manufacture' with a combination of common names and numerical digits. Almost everyone's email address follows this pattern but unfortunately spammers know this and some spam arrives by means of this 'guessing' of real addresses.
2) only give your main address to friends and family
3) for any companies, websites or mailing lists, give them a 'disposable email address'. Sneakemail is brilliant for this although it costs $2 a month. All email is forwarded to your main address but it's very clever and if you reply you reply as normal which routes back via sneakemail and replaces your real address with your disposable one. In reality, all disposable addresses are synonyms for your real address and you use your inbox as normal and companies contact you as normal. The important difference is that any case of spam or where the company is not respecting unsubscribing, then you can block that individual address. It works well and kept me spam free for the past few years.

I hope this helps someone.

- Collapse -
Like your reply....

....and any suggestion that keeps us under the spammer's radar.

I've been using an easier procedure. Outlook webmail offers 10 free alias addresses that
do not expire until the user deletes them. They are as temporary or as permanent as the user
likes.

So I scramble the primary username for the account and I don't use it to send or receive mail.
I use the aliases to send.

The primary might be something like f4%nVx9?sA@outlook.com. No brute force dictionary
guessing attack is likely to crack that.

However, our personal contacts want to be able to recognize us. They can't do that with
f4%nVx9?sA@outlook.com.

So with social aliases, I put my first name and one other word before the scrambled string.

For example, Judy has a friend named Jeff. Judy gives Jeff this alias address:
judyjeffw3?hR4v&@outlook.com.

Why does she put "jeff" after her name? Well besides telling her who it's from, she can change
the address, if it is compromised, to judyjeffrey9dB4%ma#@outlook.com, and send the change
to Jeff.

Jeffrey spots the difference between the old and new addresses without having to examine
the new random string. He sees jeff in the old and jeffrey in the new.

Both addresses are protected from the dictionary attack, with the added benefit that any new
alias address with a random string of characters will not be kicked back during it s creation as
being "already in use".

10 free alias addresses are offered by outlook.com, gmx.com, and mail.com, for a grand total
of 30 free alias addresses. These addresses are semi-permanent as mentioned and the original
usernames for each account are not in the email header when sending mail or registering on an
unfamiliar site.

That's important because a spammer scans the entire header for all email addresses that may
be in there. He spams them and sells them to other spammers.

Note that GMail does have a feature that allows the user to send mail from another address that
the user owns. But...

....the user's original GMail address username will show up in the header, and the account is now
identified to the spammer as existing and current.

The three recommended webmails hide our original usernames and keep us under the radar.
We can register on any unfamiliar sites that arouse our curiosity without revealing the primary
username.

- Collapse -
Was 1-10 for 14 years, until now

I always used spam filters and never opened a spam message to keep it as low as possible. That worked great from 2000 until this year. After attempting to apply for Obamacare I suddenly began receiving 4-5X as many spam mails each day. Yahoo is still good about filtering them into the spam folder, but I am annoyed and disappointed by healthcare.gov.

- Collapse -
Was 1-10 for 14 years, until now - New!

Yeah, well. I used to get 10-20 a day for several years (the usual stuff: lotto winnings, the woman who is dying from 3-4 cancers(please let her die peacefully) and banks who are worried about my account(even banks where I don't have an account) and several other stuff).
First of all: NEVER reply.
Second: NEVER unsubscribe.
And after a few years, it started dying out, and now I get about 3-4 a week and once in a while I get even one sent by...myself! Now, believe me, I am not a spammer! It is just to show how those guys work. They work the numbers.So, never and I mean never respond to that kind of messages, then it (very slowly) dies out.

- Collapse -
A combination of defences

My IP allows me to have as many email addresses as I want. If I need to deal with someone I don't know, I create a special email address for this person/company. This allows me to Delete this address if they are troublesome. It is very important NOT to have the 'Catch All' switched on (I.E. Never enable anyname@yourdomain.com). This comes in very useful when it's time to ask for car insurance quotes.

If someone has got hold of an email address I need to keep, I can add their email address (e.g. trouble@theirplace.com) to my filter. If they change their address (e.g. moretrouble@theirplace.com) I can just add 'theirplace.com' to my filter and that blocks their whole list. After about 12 months, I make a copy of my filtered addresses, then delete them from my filter - if any come back, I just re-add them to the filter. This save me having and ever-growing filter list.

My IP does have it's own filtering system but some Plain Text spam emails still get through. These 'usually' don't persist if you don't answer them. As a general rule... don't use their 'Click Her to Unsubscribe' link - that just tells them that your email address is active and can be sold to loads of other unwanted contacts.

- Collapse -
gmail the way to go

My gmail account may get one or two a week. My yahoo acct may get 70 a day.

- Collapse -
That's typical...

I like GMail too and I guard it jealously from spammers. As
for those Yahoo intruders...

Here's a suggestion. Drop your Yahoo account and replace it
with an Outlook webmail account. Scramble the primary username
to foil brute force dictionary guessing attacks. Use something
like t5%xJ4aK9@outlook.com, and don't send or receive mail via
that address.

Instead, use Outlook's alias addresses. For social contacts, go
ahead and use your first name (so they'll recognize you), followed
by another word and then a random string. That second word has a
purpose.

If your name were Joe and you had a friend named Leonardo, you'd
send him an alias that you created, like joeleo5t&xF3$m@outlook.com.

If that address were compromised, you'd delete it and send Leonardo
a new alias such as joeleonardo2rT&b3?x@outlook.com.

Leonardo will spot the difference between the second words in
both addresses and will recognize the new address without having
to scrutinize either random string. He copies/pastes the new
address into his Contacts and never has to type in the full
address when sending you an email. He selects it from the drop
down menu during composition.

GMail has no aliases or Exclusive Blocker, but there is a way
to further protect it, if you're willing to open a new GMail
account, with a new, scrambled username.

Open the new account and also open two AOL accounts.

Put semi-trustworthy contacts in AOL 1; put trustworthy
accounts such as banks, auto insurance companies, any
monthly bills, in AOL 2.

In the new GMail account, set up two Mail Fetchers in settings,
one for AOL 1 and another for AOL 2.

After you have established your Contacts in both AOL accounts,
activate AOL's Exclusive Blocker in both AOL accounts. This
will block all mail from anyone not in your Contacts list.

Another setting just below the Blocker setting allows you to
send the blocked mail to the spam folder, or...better...block
the spam at the server. Aol never sees it.

Gmail's fetchers will fetch the mail from both AOL accounts
and direct each AOL bundle to a GMail folder of your choice.

Now...if someone in AOL 1 sells your address to a spammer,
the spammer's rotating roulette wheel of ever changing fake
return addresses will be rejected by the AOL 1 Blocker and GMail
will fetch only mail contained in AOL 1's inbox.

If the spammer tries to spoof one of your billing account
addresses on the assumption that you pay bills on line after
receiving billing notifications, these billing addresses
will still be rejected because they are not in AOL 1; they're
in AOL 2!

And the trusted accounts in AOL 2 are not selling your AOL 2
address to anyone.

Again, only scrambled usernames are used in all four webmail
accounts, including Outlook. AOL is used for initial
registrations only, not to send mail.

So...the AOL account gets no spam, the potentially vulnerable
Gmail account is shielded by the AOL accounts, as well as its
own scrambled username; and you can still accommodate mail
from people you don't know via Outlook's aliases. Any repeat
spammer who turns up in Outlook is vetoed by deleting the alias
address he used. (Remember, don't send mail from the new GMail
account; use Outlook's aliases.)

Of course, with all this scrambling of usernames (and passwords),
a fill form-type password manager is a necessity.

Give it a try, and good luck!

- Collapse -
Starting to annoy me.

My ISP analyzed my spam messages and their solution was no solution at all....to change my email address. I've had this one for nearly 10 years, so I got a program called Spam Fighter. The free version slows the spam down, but I still get it on my cell phone. I run about 5-1 spam vs. real messages and I build my own filters and train Spam Fighter to my preferences. I wish they had a DO NOT SPAM list.

Carl

- Collapse -
Low spam count after years

I have my ISP provided account for nearly 10 years, a Gmail account I use heavily for at least 12 years and a Yahoo account just for spits & giggles, I don't even use it! I get 0 to 3 daily through my ISP, lately a steady 3-4 from Gmail and anywhere from at least 5 per day up to @#!! on that Yahoo account. Yahoo is garbage folks.
For both my ISP and Gmail I use the abusix spam reporter add-on in Thunderbird as well as the Habul add-on. I don't filter it, I report it. Let the authorities know what's going on so they can take action and fight it! If Yahoo would let me access my account there with Thunderbird I'd report at least some of that trash too, but since they won't ... I don't!! I leave it on their servers and clean it out about every quarter.

- Collapse -
Gmail filters working well

I get pretty much zero spam in my inbox but do get a few per day in my Spam folder. Gmail does a good job filtering them out so almost none make it to my inbox. The few that do get through are the usual suspects that are easy to spot, "Your X account has been blocked, click this link to verify" phising emails and the like. Some are also 'legit' spam, such as newsletters where I registered for something and forgot to opt-out (or there wasn't an option). I've been unsubscribing myself from these when I have the free time.

As others have said, I don't give out my email address freely, but the problem is if the websites we sign up to get compromised or weren't completely honest about keeping our details private can lead to our email addresses falling into the wrong hands.

- Collapse -
Inbox? How about zero spam in the spam folder?

Skim this over, then read it again if you're fed up with spam.

99.99999% of the spam problem comes from "woodpeckers", spammers with automated programs
who change their addresses, domains, and IP addresses so that traditional blockers and
blacklists don't stop them.

The problem is not Bed, Bath, and Beyond selling our email addresses to so called partners
such as Fishing Tackle, Sporting Goods, and Beyond. They obey the unsubscribe instruction.

The problem is the veritable roulette wheel of ever changing fake addresses that spammers
toss out into cyberspace each day with the same old messages. Over and over again.

If we nail the woodpecker, we solve our problem.

Zero tolerance is the policy, and my spam folders are the loneliest on the internet...literally!

Here's what I've been doing after starting over with fresh accounts:

I have 4 webmail accounts whose logins are managed by the LastPass password manager. They
are Outlook webmail, GMail. and 2 AOL webmail accounts.

All have scrambled usernames that are little more than extensions of the webmail password;
they're for log in purposes only and are never used to send mail. Usernames like Larry007
and Mary2014 are not used. Rather, something like t9W4x?Bs@gmail.com is used to foil brute
force attempts to crack the username and pair it off with all the best known webmail domains.

All sent mail comes from various alias email addresses provided by Outlook webmail. Outlook's
primary username is never used to send mail. And even the alias usernames are scrambled.
However....it's obvious that our personal contacts are not going to like
t9W4x?Bs@outlook.com, so we put our first name up front, plus one other word...and
then scramble it to foil the dictionary attacker.

For example: Judy has a boyfriend named Jeff. She gives him an exclusive alias address
like judyjefft9W4x?Bs@outlook.com. Should the address ever become compromised somehow,
she sends him a new one to copy and paste into his Contact list, one that changes
the second word and the random string, such as judyjeffreyx5t7%zJw@outlook.com. Jeff
sees that jeff is now jeffrey and easily distinguishes the new from the old without having
to examine the random string. He copies the new one to Contacts.

Alias addresses give us absolute veto power over any woodpecker that might get hold of the
alias address. We simply delete it and issue a new one if necessary. This veto power is
post-emptive or after the fact; but it is absolute.

The GMail/AOL trinity is different. It gives us pre-emptive veto power. It works like this:

GMail has mail fetchers that fetch mail from each of 2 AOL webmail accounts. Aol has
the only blocker on the internet that is worth a damn. The Exclusive Blocker. The AOL
accounts are used for initial registrations only. We don't send mail from them.

The Exclusive Blocker does not look for an address to reject; it looks for an address to accept.
It accepts mail only from the AOL Contacts list. Another setting below the Blocker setting
allows the choice of sending the blocked mail to the spam folder or blocking it at the
server. This latter option keeps it out of AOL's spam folder, as well as out of AOL's inbox.

However, the Exclusive Blocker has one weakness. Spoofing.

If a spammer can guess any of our contacts and pretend to be that contact in the "From"
field of his message, he will land right in our inbox. And all he has to assume is that the user
pays his bills online. He then programs all of the billing addresses of every credit card
company, every bank, every auto insurance company, every phone and utility company
into his automated spam program and pairs it off with AOL.com, and he's in.

We can stop him by setting up the second AOL webmail and populating it only with trusted,
but spoofable, contacts, such as our banks and the others mentioned above. We keep
them separate from the AOL 1 webmail where there may be some possibility of someone
there selling our scrambled AOL 1 email address. The AOL 2 contacts won't do that.

Now we set up mail 2 fetchers in GMail to fetch mail from the 2 AOL webmail accounts. With
these fetchers we can direct the AOL 1 mail to the inbox folder and the AOL 2 monthly bills to
a GMail folder we've created, such as "bills" or A-Monthly. Or we can fetch it all to GMail's
inbox.

Note that the 2 AOL webmail accounts are little more filter/blockers. We spend most of our
non-social time in GMail, whose scrambled username once again, is never used to send mail.

To see how it works, imagine a hypothetical user who plays the horses. He subscribes to
various advisory newsletters who give him recommendations of horses to bet on at various
tracks around the country. These newsletters cover a wide range of ethics, some respecting
the user's privacy, some not.

He has 20 newsletters in AOL 1. One of them, abchotponies@yahoo.com sells his address
to xyzevenhotterponies@yahoo.com. XYZ is a woodpecker. He has a roulette wheel of
changing return addresses. He is also a spoofer. He has another roulette wheel of spoofed
banks, auto insurance companies, etc.

He launches the first wheel and AOL 1's Exclusive Blocker scrutinizes the spammer's "address
of the day" and finds no address in AOL 1 Contacts to match it. Next day, different fake address
from the wheel, same result. The XYZ spammer is left in cyberspace.

Then he launches the second wheel with the banks, etc., and AOL 1's blocker again finds no address
in AOL 1 Contacts to match the address submitted by the wheel that day. Or the next day. Or the next.

Why? Because the banks, etc are in AOL 2. XYZ needs 3 things to barge into this user's
webmail. He needs the username, a user Contact address, and a webmail domain common
to both. He has AOL 1's username, AOL 2's Contact(s), but no common webmail domain.
He can't get in. Unless he spoofs abchotponies, the one who sold him the AOL 1 username
and address in te first place. He won't.

So....to summarize: the GMail AOL trinity is used for non-social daily and periodic business
and gives us absolute, pre-emptive veto power over woodpecker spammers by way of
scrambled usernames, AOL's Exclusive Blocker, and the bulletproofing of that blocker by
separating ethics-challenged Contacts in AOL 1 from trustworthy, but spoofable, Contacts
in AOL 2. The mail is gathered in one place by the 2 GMail fetchers.

Outlook aliases are used to send mail and they allow for receiving mail from people we don't
know; old classmates trying to find us on facebook where we've posted an alias that can
be deleted if necessary. All social mail, commerce, and anything potentially fishy is handled
with aliases; indeed, all sending of any mail is from aliases. (Alias mail can also be fetched
to GMail).

I'm going on 3 years now using this system. The difference is night and day! No aggravation,
none of the stress that comes when someone has control over you. This approach doesn't
"fight" spam, or "reduce" it. It keeps us under the radar, where the woodpecker spammer can't
find us, and eliminates it!

Read this over a couple of times and adapt it to your situation. You may even be able to
simplify it.

- Collapse -
Oops!

The following paragraph in my reply to, "Inbox? How about zero spam in the
spam folder?", has an error:

"Why? Because the banks, etc are in AOL 2. XYZ needs 3 things to barge into this user's
webmail. He needs the username, a user Contact address, and a webmail domain common
to both. He has AOL 1's username, AOL 2's Contact(s), but no common webmail domain.
He can't get in. Unless he spoofs abchotponies, the one who sold him the AOL 1 username
and address in the first place. He won't."

Deleting the word "domain" gives the intended meaning in the third and fourth sentences. In
other words, the spoofer must have a "username, a user Contract address, and a webmail
common to both. He has AOL 1's username, AOL 2's Contact(s), but no common webmail."

Obviously the aol.com domain is the same for both AOL accounts. Sorry for the confusion.

- Collapse -
How much spam in a day i get my inbox

In my e-mail there is minimum 50 spam recive every day and i chek regulary and delete spam.

- Collapse -
none

I don't get any in my yahoo, outlook, inbox, or mail accounts
I get a couple a week in my gmail account.

My main account that I use for just about everything is yahoo plus or whatever they call themselves these days. about 4-6 spam emails goes straight into my spam folder daily.

I used to get quite a bit of spam in my mail account until I started paying for the service.

CNET Forums