Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how much abuse can a computer take?

by username_10billion / August 16, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

hello everyone. im in a bit of trouble. i got really angry at my computer and gave in to anger and punched the damn thing. now it wont respond- i can ge online and post but none of the apps will load- i cant get into system restore or anything apart from IE. does anyone know what may be the problem and how i can get it fixed? any help greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how much abuse can a computer take?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how much abuse can a computer take?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how much abuse can a computer take?
by glb613 / August 16, 2004 8:12 AM PDT

Doesn't sound good.

Collapse -
Sounds like your computer won that round...
by Michael Geist / August 16, 2004 8:45 AM PDT

you might supply a little more info on which Apps are not working and what happens when you open them.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 16, 2004 9:53 AM PDT

Tell it "I am sorry" ? Happy

Well, you can check for loose things - connections, cards, momery modules etc. You are able to boot up - can you do a System Restore ? Run sfc/ checknow ?

Collapse -
addendum
by Papa Echo / August 16, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

....do those in Safe mode ?

Collapse -
by username_10billion / August 17, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

sorry about late reply everyone, i was busy at work. anyways i'll list the apps that dont work:
nero
windows media
...or anything apart from Internet explorer. none of the desktop shortcuts work or for that matter none of the links works (to any program) the only thing i can do is load explorer and browse the content of folders, for some reason it lets me connect to the internet but thats it really. oh and my firewall wont load either(zonealarm-this always happens to me) i cant get into system restore and safe mode is just as bad as normal mode. im running xp pro by the way. DAMN I FEEL LIKE A FOOL. word of advice dont hit your computer!

Collapse -
by MKay / August 21, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

I don;t have any specific help for you but you gave me a great laugh, And don't feel stupid. We've all wanted to do it at one time or another . you just had more nerve thn the rest of us:-)

Collapse -
by username_10billion / August 17, 2004 1:44 AM PDT

actually guys i think it may be a problem with the 'rundll32.exe file. it appears to be corrupted and the only way to fix this is to replace it, but alas i have another problem. i dont have the xp pro cd mine is an oem version. does anyone know where i can get the rundll32 .exe file from ? is it downloadable?

Collapse -
You should be able to run sfc
by trytohelp / August 17, 2004 4:04 AM PDT

if it is an actually oem xp cd and not a restore disk you get from, say hp or compaq.

Collapse -
Re: You should be able to run sfc
by jmac0225 / August 21, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

"These boots may have been made for walking" But this computer was not made for punching!

Collapse -
kinda like
by TONI H / August 21, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

kicking the dog and surprised when it jumps up and bites your ***????

If you run SFC, you should get the option of having it look at the cd you have in order to extract a new copy of the file you need. Even OEM cd's usually have individual install location information on them that sfc can find. You might have to 'browse' the cd in the SFC program to locate it though.

Also...did your OEM vendor cd create a separate partition or folder on your harddrive (usually it gives a shortcut to restore/recovery on the desktop)? If so, have SFC search there instead of the cd itself.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?