Computer Newbies forum

Question

How many DVDs required

by golden1 / April 15, 2012 9:17 AM PDT

I have purchased a new computer and would like to know how many DVDs I need to make Recovery Disks.
and
Can I use CDs in the Multimedia Optical Drive.

HP Pavilion
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack: 1.0

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 6.0 GB

Hard DISK 931 GB

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.4 GHz

Internet Explorer 9

Thanks in advance,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many DVDs required
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many DVDs required
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From 3 to 12.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: How many DVDs required

The usual I encounter is 3 with a new record set by some machine hitting 12.
Bob

Collapse -
How many DVDs required
by golden1 / April 15, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: From 3 to 12.

If twelve, I would rather purchase them. Wonder why 12?

Collapse -
DVD NOT CD
by pgc3 / April 16, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

You will want to use DVD'S NOT CD'S. As Bob stated, usually it is 3 and perhaps 4 DVD'S. Typically you can use either the + or the - format, do NOT use DVD/RW disks. If you use CD'S, which you probably could, you would be all day and then some creating the disks, so by all means go out and purchase DVD'S box stores sell them in several different quantities I would get at least a dozen if for nothing more than just future use.

Collapse -
I wondered too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 1:30 AM PDT

I guess they copied the entire HDD to DVD when they made the Restore Media. But that's me guessing.
Bob

Collapse -
Whole HDD
by pgc3 / April 16, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I wondered too.

Geeez Bob, I never thought of that, now you really have me scratching my head....

Collapse -
Answer
I suggest...
by Willy / April 16, 2012 1:38 AM PDT

Why don't you simply have a new DVD bundle(25?) and allow the ease of mind that you'll have more than enough. Plus, you'll have spare DVDs for later as the need arises. In most cases I find 4 DVD or less will do, but as PCs come pre-loaded with whatever s/w bundle(s) it may ask for more. Most new DVD drives will access CDs as well. You want DVD +/- variety but find + works best.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How many DVDs required
by golden1 / April 16, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I suggest...

Thanks for all the Info. I'm considering buying the recovery set from HD. I have heard it costs $20.

I assume I can play my CD music. It that true?

Collapse -
You're welcome
by Willy / April 17, 2012 2:10 AM PDT

If you like then buy from HP those "recovery discs" for your model#. Of course, the actual HP make your own recovery discs process will be available to you under the HP pgms. provided when your ready should the need arise. If you want discrete info on making your own recovery discs, that info is available either by doc file in manual or support website.

As for playing music CDs, that shouldn't be a problem. It will defer to the OS own media player or whatever else you have directed to do this as well either by design or default. The same for any audio/music files as well.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How many DVDs required
by golden1 / April 17, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

Thank you for the Info.

And thanks again to all who replied. Very helpfull.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.