Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

<<How many drives can you have??>>

by tyrantiger / April 30, 2004 5:43 PM PDT

hi there, i'm gonna be getting a seagate barracuda 200gb 7200 8mb cache HDD. the question is how many drives can i atually create? etc. C drive, D drive......And how big should i separate them in and for what?

thanx for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: <<How many drives can you have??>>
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: <<How many drives can you have??>>
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:<<How many drives can you have??>>/depends.....
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2004 10:44 PM PDT

I am presuming you wish to make multiple partitions, format each and see them as separate drive letters. If you ask "how many", one might presume you have already decided to create the maximum number you can and have a reason for doing so. Drive letter assignments can be at least A to Z but but will be reduced by the number assigned to other drives or devices already. Your operating system (determines partition types possible) and BIOS (can it support the entire 200gb) play a roll so I will not attempt to calculate an exact #. You need to know why you want multiple partitions. They can assist in your organizing, backup, and security plans with some limitations. For instance, some folks like to keep the OS and some installed programs on one drive and use others for storage. You might want one just for documents or images, etc. In this case, you would need to know what size you wanted to allocate for each purpose. Personally, I would partition into as few drives as I needed as too many can be cumbersome to manage. The final decision becomes yours but you need to put plenty of thought into it first as, once you have chopped up the drive, it's not so easy to undo things. Good luck.

Collapse -
And just where will this drive be used?
by Cursorcowboy / April 30, 2004 11:02 PM PDT

1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

2. The article [Q303013] describes the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note: "Q331958" explains that if your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), 1) your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation, 2) you may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation, and 3) you may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error) unless the system is subsequently patched.

Collapse -
Re:<<How many drives can you have??>> And what OS will you be using?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

Let me issue a WARNING about XP and that new 200GB drive. If you don't have a shiny XP SP1 CD, then some fall into a TRAP where they have an issue and run the repair from the XP (non-SP1) CD. What happens next can be the drive contents vanish in a puff of virtual smoke.

The reason is simple. Support for such drive sizes is in XP SP1 which most will install XP, then SP1 and then some over 137GB drive. All works well until that fateful day.

I'm sharing this so you can plan ahead.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:<<How many drives can you have??>> And what OS will you be using?

well i'm gonna be using window xp pro, and after hearing what Us had said, i have decided to fall back and use Seagate Barracuda 120gb 7200 8mg cache.

and i also want to have four partition drives, c drive=30gb for programs and softwares, d drive=55gb for music, video and pictures, e drive=30gb for games and f drive=5gb for school work and anything else.

pls advise me if that's a good idea to return back to 120gb since i dont know if my BIOs supports 200gb or not and advise me if my idea of separating my HDD into these drives is good or not

thanx for any help

Collapse -
actually wIll this work?

i've got my computer specs on this webpage http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=20824&messageID=229349

pls notify me if my computer can support a 200gb HDD, if it does will this partition be a good idea?

c drive=40gb for software, programs and OS;
d drive=70gb for music, video and pictures;
e drive=70gb for games; and
f drive=20gb for school work(word, powerpoint. etc) and anything else.

i know this topic suppose to go with "storage", but since there's so many posts here already, i'm not sure if i should make another post.

thanx for any help.

Collapse -
''Computer" v/s ''OS'' specs -- what don't you understand?
by Cursorcowboy / May 1, 2004 10:08 PM PDT

Your computer might but if the system used to run it can't . . . (please read Bob's reply again).

Collapse -
Re:actually wIll this work?/It's still a matter of personal preference
by Steven Haninger / May 2, 2004 2:38 AM PDT

My own first choice is to have separate physical drives. I only have one that uses an extended partition. I keep my OS and most programs on one drive. My second drive is used for storage and backups of my primary drive. My backup "scheme" is more comprehensive but I will not elaborate. You did not mention a backup plan but I think it to be important. Mine is not perfect but I think is better than having a single drive all cut up to simulate multiple ones. It sounds as if your plan is one of good organization and it's not a bad idea to do such. I don't know how one can determine the maximum amount of space they will need for a specific purpose and I think you could do the same job just by creating folders on a single drive and not partitioning at all. All in all, it sounds to me as if you should be able to use the larger drive, partition it and use it as described. If the partition sizes eventually become ineffient, however, you will probably need to purchase a third party utility to make alterations. This is just my own two cents worth of thought.

Collapse -
Re:Re:back up partition?

what do you mean by a back up partition? do you mean by having another copy of everything in that drive? well, if it is i think i should get a 120gb seagate barracuda 7200 8mg cache and a 80gb western digital 7200 8mg cache. using part of wd's for back up.

thanx for all the help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:back up partition?/as you requested
by Steven Haninger / May 3, 2004 8:35 AM PDT

Part of my backup scheme is to regularly make a complete image of my system drive and software. I do this, as well, prior to any new software installation or (sometimes) removal. This allows me to completely recover my system in a matter of a few minutes in case something unpleasant happens. It would also allow me to completely restore a hard drive in the event of a system crash or, perhaps, transfer everything to a larger drive if desired. I use Drive Image from PowerQuest which now belongs to Symantec. Symantecs product is Norton Ghost. It remains to be seen how this will shake out with Symantec. Anyway, I keep the image on another hard drive. It's compressed and takes up little space. You can do the same with a logical drive partition but would not be able to do a system recovery in the event of a hardware failure of the drive. I hope this answers your question.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:back up partition?/as you requested
by tyrantiger / May 3, 2004 6:40 PM PDT

so what you're saying is if i have 2 hard drives with one for back up, i would not be able to system recovery is that it?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:back up partition?/as you requested/addendum
by Steven Haninger / May 4, 2004 8:51 AM PDT

I cannot reply to your reply but, that is not what I said. What I said was that you cannot rely on an image of the primary partition saved to a logical drive on the same physical drive to be of use if the physical drive has suffered a hardware failure. This is why I keep the image on another physical drive. If the primary dies, I have the image on the secondary to recover my data.

Collapse -
What everyone is telling you is yes this will work but you have to...
by trytohelp / May 2, 2004 4:44 AM PDT

download the sp1 for XP and integrate it with the XP cd to make a XP sp1 cd. You can find instructions here. They are saying that the regular version of XP will not support over 137 GB hard drives. By the way Hard drive manufactures calculate GB different than Windows. Hard drive manufacturers say 1 GB = 1000 MB and 1 MB = 1000 KB and so on. Windows reports 1 GB as = 1024 MB and so on. So when you calculate how to divide up your partition plan on dividing up 186.264 GB instead of 200 GB.

Collapse -
Re: link doesn't work.

sorry, but the link doesn't work, and i dont seem to be able to find sp1, instead i found alot of sp1a results.
so when i purchase my new computer with a brand new window xp pro and the 200gb hardrive installed, the window will only recognise 139gb of my hardrive(will the harddrive be stuffed up at this period of time?). But after i've downloaded and install sp1, the rest of the harddrive will show up, is that right? sorry but i'm a very newbie.............

and if someone can give me a link to download the sp1 version, that'll be a great help, since i can only find sp1a.

thanx for all these help.

Collapse -
''Different story'' now.
by Cursorcowboy / May 2, 2004 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: link doesn't work.
when i purchase my new computer with a brand new window xp pro and the 200gb hardrive installed, the window will only recognise 139gb of my hardrive(will the harddrive be stuffed up at this period of time?).

Since it now appears you're buying not only a new computer with this drive already installed but with the XPPro operating system, it is logical that with all this knowledge you've just gleaned you'd simply make an inquiry with whomever you're making this purchase from whether they are aware of this explained huge hard drive fallacy and if so, do they install XPPro/SP1 integrated to overcome the problem.
Collapse -
Sorry about the link I'll try it again
by trytohelp / May 3, 2004 2:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Also,
by trytohelp / May 3, 2004 2:31 PM PDT

Sp1a is the same as sp1 except that it does not have the Microsoft form of java called Virtual Machine preinstalled on it because Microsoft lost a court battle with Sun Microsystems over the anti trust laws. You can install java from Sun if you want it, as New versions of Microsoft products will not support the Microsoft VM.

Collapse -
Re:Also,
by tyrantiger / May 3, 2004 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Also,

so is there still a site where i can download sp1 and how big is it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.