The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many daily listeners/downloads?

by Zarakand / September 10, 2008 12:40 PM PDT

I have always been curious as to the numbers regarding Buzz town. How many downloads a day does the podcast get? Plus how many streaming listeners are there? Have there been any hard numbers regarding Buzz Town's population? Isn't it about time for a census!?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many daily listeners/downloads?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many daily listeners/downloads?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Demographics
by davviau / September 10, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

I'm actually interested in the youngest/oldest listeners or even male/female ratio.

Not sure how to gauge that though.

David

Collapse -
this thread comes up every now and then
by ktreb / September 10, 2008 3:12 PM PDT

and the usual answer is...that's proprietary information or something like that

Collapse -
What ktreb said

I'd love to share that information too, but am prevented from doing so by the policy of the company I work for.

East Meets West gets 1500 listeners though! I don't remember Sword and Laser off the top of my head. LOL

Collapse -
Buzztown - Population of ??????
by shawnlin / September 11, 2008 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: What ktreb said

With all that said though...can ya give us a ballpark figure? +/-20% of a Buzztown population of ??????

I mean...we gotta have *something* on the cyber-road sign to our town, right? Or maybe even having a road sign is an issue I'll have to submit on a parchment e-scroll to the yet to be elected Lord Mayor of Buzztown? Wink

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
how many people post in tthis forum...
by robstak / September 12, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

as rough estimate...

Collapse -
it is findable,,,
by aTales / September 13, 2008 6:37 PM PDT

Just think podcast Happy

Collapse -
I'm guessing 25,000.
by kwahhn / September 11, 2008 2:17 AM PDT

unless told otherwise

Collapse -
hmmm
by aTales / September 11, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

we could call and say were interested to advertise :-P then they will have to share right? :-P

Collapse -
How many daily listeners/downloads?
by wizkids32 / September 12, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

I download BOL daily I am in my mid 40's and a girl.

Collapse -
Census
by Zarakand / September 12, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

I think we need to call them pretending to be advertisers! Though we should be able to figure it from Itunes ranking system I'd imagine. They list their top 10-20 podcasts. If we know what a few of those downloads are then a bit of math and estimation...

Collapse -
hmmmm
by warrenrichards10 / September 13, 2008 7:20 PM PDT

Can this be recorded though? Most of the information would be an ?honour system ? thing from the viewers/listeners , even then what?s to stop data manipulation by the unscrupulous ( yes I?m looking at you Tom) who wish to push their special cause?, Linux perhaps?, the only ones who would know for sure are the advertisers, (god I hate that bloody talking phone) it would be in their interests for the data to be accurate , and they would have the money to make sure.

Collapse -
I imagine that this is counted by
by ktreb / September 14, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

The number of downloads and streams.

Collapse -
Even that's going to be off
by PuT6hpcu2Xh3f / September 14, 2008 2:59 AM PDT

I usually stream the show from work but in case I can't for whatever reason, I have iTunes set to automatically download at home. I can't be the only one doing this - so a segment of the population would be counted twice.

Also, a fair number of people watch the live stream which I don't think runs across CNet's machines. They probably have a way of capturing those numbers, but it's probably more complicated than counting the number of downloads.

Collapse -
true
by ktreb / September 14, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

But at least it's some sort of "hard" number that CNET can and probably does use to justify the continuation of BOL and the axing of others (GeekPop, Today In Tech History, Road Warrior that have been discontinued due to low numbers) as well as take to potential sponsors.

The live stream isn't officially CNET anyway, so I doubt they take that into account.

Collapse -
Podcasters
by Renegade Knight / September 17, 2008 2:17 PM PDT

According to Neilson there are 9.2 million music/audio podcasters and 5.5 million video podcasters. Podcasters being the audience in this case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?