Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How many Christians here......

by C1ay / September 7, 2008 11:10 AM PDT

would ever accidentally say, "my Muslim faith" when describing your Christianity?

Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

Is this a "slip" you could ever envision yourself as making? Ever? Would you ever mistakenly state your faith as anything but Christian?

I'm just wondering how common this alleged slip really is.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many Christians here......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many Christians here......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 11:19 AM PDT

Where were you when I needed you... this afternoon when I was being blasted for even daring to suggest....?

Link seems to be bad.

Collapse -
Link worked for me.
by critic411 / September 7, 2008 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh WOW!

You still blasted?

Collapse -
(NT) Hmmm. NOW it works!
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Link worked for me.
Collapse -
by critic411 / September 7, 2008 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm. NOW it works!

Still blasted?

Collapse -
Never was...
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm?

I am blast proof. They can try to blast me but it blasts back.

Collapse -
To bad
by critic411 / September 7, 2008 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Never was...

it's lots-o-fun

Collapse -
The Unplastered Reblaster
by James Denison / September 8, 2008 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Never was...

New action figure and comic book hero.

Collapse -
To err is human
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2008 11:23 AM PDT

Being forced to shoot from the hip with too little sleep might be his problem. A nice long session in horizontal position should fix that. No, I don't mean in a non-breathing state either. Happy

Collapse -
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: To err is human

Given the context...

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

But what a stupid slip.

See if this link works/

Collapse -
Even more evidence to me that
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2008 8:28 PM PDT

not only do both radical sides of the aisles in Washington need to be cleared but a reworking of press as well. If they want to continue their monopoly as an information source, they need to just present the whole of it and let us do the analysis ourselves.

Collapse -
(NT) Good clarification of what was said
by grimgraphix / September 8, 2008 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
OK, I can buy that.
by critic411 / September 7, 2008 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: To err is human

Given the plethora of oratory blunders that he has had.

Collapse -
The plethora of oratory blunders that he has had.
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, I can buy that.
Collapse -
(NT) English is his second language?
by James Denison / September 8, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
It was an awkward statement ...
by Bill Osler / September 7, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

I don't believe I would make that particular slip, but when you look at the context of the interview I think it is pretty clear that what Obama meant to say is that Mr. McCain is not talking about Mr. Obama's alleged Muslim faith.

The quote from the article says:
"What I was suggesting - you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. ..."
In this context they were discussing the fact that, although some Republican sympathizers have suggested that Mr. Obama is in fact a Muslim, Mr. McCain has not made those allegations. I don't see how anybody could fairly interpret that as a Freudian slip.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

I would interpret this is "my alleged muslim faith" or "my socalled muslim faith".

Let's say that I said that c1ay or EdH are gay (I don't know them so I don't know that, of course, just an example). Then c1ay or EdH might say (when being asked) something like "It's absolutely true Kees talked about my being gay". If I then wrote that was a Freudian slip, that proved that I was right, I think they would be angry and asked for the post to be removed.

It's fully understandable somebody would forget the "alleged" in an interview (maybe not in a carefully corrected written piece). That goes for me and c1ay and EdH and Mr. Obama. It's not more than dirty campaigning to suggest otherwise. But, then, that's getting normal on this forum, alas.

Collapse -
I don' t think he intended "alleged"...
by EdHannigan / September 7, 2008 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Indeed.

That would be awkward even for him. He just made a silly mistake.

But, then, that's getting normal on this forum, alas.

Oh, really? Don't think so. Got any examples?

Collapse -
Our own media will do such
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2008 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Indeed.

They will create a "report" and then say something like "It's been reported that.....". Not exactly a lie but a deliberate attempt to create a story where none could otherwise exist.

Collapse -
(NT) You really gotta want it, Bill.
by Dan McC / September 7, 2008 9:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Bill Osler / September 8, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

Want what?
Am I just being obtuse? I don't have a clue what you meant.

Collapse -
I think what he means is
by Mike_Hanks / September 8, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

that in order to have it mean what anyone wants it to mean, you have to want it to mean that.

Kind of like how the Democrats want all the lies about George Bush to be true.

Collapse -
May be like...
by J. Vega / September 8, 2008 11:04 AM PDT

It may be like Humpty Dumpty explaining the meaning of "glory" to Alice.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't --till I tell you.".

Collapse -
Makes sense to me....
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2008 11:09 AM PDT

if sense can be made of it.

Collapse -
In order to see it the way
by Dan McC / September 8, 2008 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

people are misinterpreting it you have to go into your judgment with an extreme leaning against Obama.

Collapse -
Which people ?
by EdHannigan / September 9, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

Not many it appears are taking it out of context, are they?

Collapse -
Unlike the
by critic411 / September 9, 2008 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Which people ?

Rush Limbaugh quote being taken out of context.

Collapse -
(NT) in a nutshell!
by jonah jones / September 7, 2008 10:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
I can't agree.
by James Denison / September 8, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

I've thought on it for days and just can't find it an acceptable "slip of the tongue" as it's being passed off. Just today I was thinking of the years I lived in Greece, even learning enough of the language to converse with them. In spite of that, at no time did I EVER, even by accident say, "when I was a Greek..."

Collapse -
not common at all
by oldie and goody / September 7, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

never would I mistakenly call my faith muslim

Collapse -
I might if I had been accused for as long as he has been
by Angeline Booher / September 7, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

...... that I was a muslim because it would be on my mind a lot more than the average Christian.

And there are still some who still believe that he is a muslim, thus have pounced on this when they would have let it pass if anyone else had said it.

BTW, I don't know if they think the same of all converts to Christianity from other faiths- that former Buddhists remain Buddhists, former atheists remain atheists , etc. If so, "preaching the Gospel" means nothing. Or do they claim a specially anointed "direct line" to the Lord that tells them who is faking?

Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?