The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many CDs and DVDs have you burned in the last month?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 25, 2006 8:00 AM PST

1 to 5 (consisting mostly of what?)
6 to 10 (consisting mostly of what?)
11 to 20 (consisting mostly of what?)
21 to 50 (consisting mostly of what?)
50 or more (in 1 month?!)
I don't have a burner
I have a burner, but I never use it
I don't know how to use my burner!
Does throwing them in the fireplace count?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many CDs and DVDs have you burned in the last month?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many CDs and DVDs have you burned in the last month?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Backups
by crazeebob2000 / January 25, 2006 9:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Sometimes burn lots of disks.
by culip / January 26, 2006 5:57 PM PST

Usually, I don't burn so many disks, but sometimes I burn lots of them.
For example, for back up my HD -- I burn 10 DVD-Rs, for my school activity -- I burn hundreds of CD-Rs or DVD-Rs in seldom days!

Collapse -
How many CDs and DVDs burned in the past month
by daphine2001 / January 26, 2006 6:42 PM PST

At least 10 -- maybe more. I really had to think about this. I burn them to back up data at work and home. I have a new DVD-R for my TV, and I'm sure I burned at least 2-3 movies showing on satellite and also from my Unviersity library video collection. I also burned a copy of a CD I purchased for my daughter so I could listen to it. So, a combination of music, movies and back-up data.

Collapse -
it's not only a matter of "age"
by kalbun / January 26, 2006 6:44 PM PST

I burn around 20 cds a month. Some of them are data backup, some other are copies of my music cd that I listen with the cd-player in my car (I prefer not to use originals that can be easily damaged).

I also noticed that, after a while, music CDRs become unreadable or give problems. Yet I think this is more a matter of quality than of aging. I strongly suspect that the most deteriorating agent for cds is heat, and possibly original disks resist to higher temperatures.

I also have some old DATA disk, say 10 or more yrs old, which so far gave me zero problems -- because they are read very seldom.

My conclusions are:
1) a cd seldom used and correctly stored should give no problems for several years
2) a cd played very often tends to quickly deteriorate, even in months and not years
3) printed cds are more resistant to thermic and mechanic stress and can in both cases long more time.

Collapse -
Copying media
by Nick_T / January 26, 2006 7:10 PM PST

My wife does the Blockbuster thing thru the mail{plus sporadic rentals] Icopy at least 20 DVD's a month-never watch the ''host'DVD-15 minutes with 1 click and its back in the mail-CD's 1for the car,1 for the wifes work-station,1 for general backup-maybe 40/month.AT$1.50/DVD X 200/yr== VS $15per DVD=justifiable major upgrade/or another puter.Works for me!

Collapse -
by Brianstech / January 29, 2006 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Copying media

Although I can't blame you for your copying, I would watch what I say. You just admitted to breaking federal laws on a public forum.

Copying rentals is a thorn in the side of our greedy entertainment business.

Collapse -
im not so sure
by Theholeinthebag / January 30, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Illegal

first off she has the material (music) in it's original form meanng she paid for it

so therefor she is allowed to make coies as long as their for personal use and she doesnt sell them.

secound theres law forbiting the use of websites ,blogs and forums such as this one to be used as actual evidence in a trail

Collapse -
Copying rental DVD's
by Brianstech / January 30, 2006 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: im not so sure

First I want to say I despise today's greed. And I'll also admit I break federal laws when I copy a DVD, music Cd, software disc, or PC game for a friend or family member.

You say you copy DVD rentals. Great! But that is illegal, and many public forums really frown on people discussing those activities. And I really believe that written public word can qualify as evidence (not like anything will ever happen to you).

Anyway, I'm a member of many forums and eBay groups. There is so much negativity illustrated by just the mere "hint" of copying anything that you don't own outright.

So I just felt the need to tell you to watch were you say these things. Some sites kick members out for that reason.

Otherwise, keep copying. I'm with you!

Collapse -
by dandevil / October 4, 2006 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Copying rental DVD's

There is a floating moral line here I think. The floating line is a pholosiphy that I apply to minor - non-core issues/values. When a person is rich they should pay for artistic things like music and videos because they can afford to. Socioty can not afford to deny art to it's poor for lack of money. Of course there are issues/laws where we are all equally responsible but in regards to things such as burning a song ro ripping a movie, (Ripping & burning, both are slang for stealing)the primary issue should be eventual(after a period of time it becomes free public access to those who cannot afford it) equal access for all regardless of ability to pay. The brightness of our cultural future is enhanced by this.

Collapse -
Using my CD's & DVD's
by Denise Neve / January 26, 2006 7:23 PM PST

I use my DVD-RW's mainly as a second line of back up for important documents and photos and occasional music. My husbad has taken over my CD's as he does not have a DVD-RW. My daily, weekly back-ups are to an external portable hard drive. We also use the older CD-RW's to send a bunch of photos or large documents to family abroad.

Collapse -
by MrMe003 / January 26, 2006 7:54 PM PST

about 11 dvds i burned that month. some linux live sets and also i move some of my data to dvds...

Collapse -
Burned about 10 CDs last month
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 8:58 PM PST

Last month, I burned music CDs cause of the teenage daughter leaving in the past CDs laying around without case. Getting stepped on, broken, etc. after I have even bought her carrying cases. So I burned a copy for her for all the new CDs and I keep the original ones "safe". Also, have burned data and picture albums on CDs. Shirley

Collapse -
Burnt CD's
by mbell390 / January 26, 2006 9:11 PM PST

The majority of my burned CD's consists of music. About ten other CD's are pictures. I think that burning CD's is an efficient way to keep up with information and it also creates an easy way to give stuff to other people without the cost of losing something expensive like a jump drive.

Collapse -
Year end Back up
by smtcrisp / January 26, 2006 9:20 PM PST

When I first got the burner I burned everything in sight >LOL!!! Now I mostly burn for backup. Thanks for this report I will check out my old CDs.

Collapse -
Burning audio books from
by elrichmond / January 26, 2006 9:23 PM PST

I burned about 18, all cdr copies of audiobooks on my La Cie CDRW, all taken out of the local library, to listen to at leisure back when I go home to a place without these facilities. I am waiting for delivery of my Apple Nano, same thing but much easier they tell me. I subscrive to and download a book each month at a price much cheaper than Apple.

Collapse -
1 to 5
by Ralphdb / January 26, 2006 10:11 PM PST

I burn Photo images and music to CD-R's . But they refuse to play in my CD-Ram player. I will switch to DVD's. I also burn music to play in my Jeep.

Collapse -
Reply to How many CDs and DVDs have you burned in the last m
by arvindnande / January 26, 2006 10:52 PM PST

11 to 20 (consisting mostly of downloaded MP3 Music)

Collapse -
by mwrittle / January 26, 2006 11:37 PM PST

I burned a couple of CD's of photos for a friend and I burned six CD's of email history from work.

Collapse -
Less than 5
by jayfin / January 27, 2006 12:17 AM PST

I used to burn quite a few CD's but lately have only made copies of Software as a back up.

Collapse -
burned about 10 cdrs this past month

For work. We distribute large reports (pdfs) that way (our FTP site just sucks out loud). The month before that I must have done 20 - 30.
The question about longevity of data stored on CDs came up - I am glad it is this week's question.

Collapse -
12-20 cds burned/what burned?
by raybare / January 27, 2006 12:46 AM PST

I use Goldwave and Nero to split and burn audio CD's of church services.

Collapse -
cd's i've burned in the last month
by jedziadax / January 27, 2006 2:04 AM PST

i've burned 10-15 cd's consisting mostly of pictures i've taken during the holidays.

Collapse -
Backing Up My DVD AND CD Library
by mutantpoodle / January 27, 2006 3:14 AM PST

After suffering several thefts, damaged media from accidental drops, and one fire all of my CD and DVD purchases are copied to a backup. I will not suffer repeated investment in music or favourite movies due to the mentioned above.

Regarding the law in the matter I do not sell or make copies for ANYONE; my making backups of my libraries is for my use only.

Collapse -
What program do you use ?
by adorah / January 27, 2006 4:11 AM PST

I am looking for a new program to back up my DVD's I use DVD X Copy Express now but have a new machine and it will not transfer over and work on it...... so need new one any sugesstions? I do the same protect my investement.... DVD's and Books on CD. Thanks Adorahafghans

Collapse -
DVD backup software
by macula001 / January 28, 2006 5:05 AM PST

I used to use DVD-X copy but with new DL DVDs I switched to "DVD Fab" which I downloaded off the website and paid to license. It was worth every cent and the suite of progams they offer are excellent. You may want to give them a try.

Collapse -
DVD software
by adorah / January 28, 2006 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: DVD backup software

Thanks, I'll look into that one also. L. Adorah

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mostly data & some music files
by terraeide / January 27, 2006 3:28 AM PST
Collapse -
how many cd/dvds burned in a month
by phantomist / January 27, 2006 3:38 AM PST

Mostly media back-up, and music cds, and a couple pay per veiw movies

Collapse -
How many CDs/DVDs burned?
by mclehr / January 27, 2006 3:51 AM PST

Probably 15 or so. Combination of music & photos.

Collapse -
Books on CD's
by adorah / January 27, 2006 4:00 AM PST

Gee I go through about 50-100 a month. I do trade offs with friends and burn them for my collection too. As far as movies I do about 3 a month and am still useing the DVD X Copy Epress. Need to find a new program for new machine I have, any sugestions? Thanks L.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?