Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How many are to many

by ethellm / January 29, 2006 10:55 PM PST

I checked my moms puters virus Count & since 12-12-05 she has had 42. Is this a high number? My younger brother is always on it in what I consider "risky" sites.I have some protection but just once last week did it find one in a email. Otherwise in2 years Iv'e never had one. I'm afraid he'll ruin moms puter which I can't believe she bought.It is horrible slow now with all the things he has downloaded. She has XP & it's a Hp 2 Yr. old. I'm looking on here for help to speed it up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many are to many
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many are to many
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi ethellm
by roddy32 / January 30, 2006 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: How many are to many

42 viruses in 2 months? Yes, I would say that is high. ONE is too high. As far as cleaning up your mom's computer, we would need more information about what it is infected with for starters. If it is that slow, obviously all the malware has not been removed yet. You've also got to teach your brother safer computing habits or he'll get it infected again the next time he uses it after you spend days cleaning it up. Exactly what programs does she have on the computer now for viruses/sypware/adware/etc.?

Collapse -
More protection if not present
by Willy / January 30, 2006 1:26 AM PST

IMHO, even 1 is too many. Be thankful that whatever AV pgm. your Mom is using is doing its job or trying to. Yeah, it can be slowed down if things get too bogged with any malware. As you see, a manual cleaning is always welcomed plus you see what you're up against. Understand further, that some malware can return as its saved or stored in areas that aren't easily cleaned on a normal basis like the "Restore area" or pgms. relaunched as needed for some goodies but the malware is part of it. -OR- the goodie is decent but the "false postive or true postive" is low risk but never-the-less trips the AV pgm.. This alone makes sense to have an AV pgm. but also some spyware pgm. like SpyBot S&D or similar, a firewall, plus maybe an aggresive cleaner to help keep the registry in balance if alot of pgms. are loaded/unloaded. I'm sure your bother is taking chances, knowingly or unknowingly at sites that are iffy if not bad news, so beware and check more protection pgms. It would hurt to have an acct. only for your bother vs. using the Mom's acct. so at least you can blame who's at fault. Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks Guys!!!
by ethellm / January 30, 2006 2:02 AM PST

I will be there later today and am going to run Belarc Advisor so I will have more info. But THANKS SOOO MUCH. Ta Ta For Now, Tracey

Collapse -
Tracey, that will tell us what
by roddy32 / January 30, 2006 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Guys!!!

programs. It would also help if you can find out exactly what the computer is infected with so see if you can run an online scan also.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Collapse -
Here's a Link to a Page With All You'll Need (Free or Trial)
by tobeach / January 30, 2006 2:16 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?