Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How magnanimous?

by JP Bill / January 30, 2009 5:01 AM PST
TD backs down on fees

Toronto-Dominion Bank has backed down on the introduction of a new $35 inactivity fee for lines of credit, and has committed to holding the line on fees for the rest of 2009.

With the recession and global financial turmoil shrinking their revenues, banks have been trying to compensate by introducing new fees, increasing existing ones and raising borrowing costs.

TD had been mailing clients recently to inform them that an inactivity fee would be introduced at the end of April for unsecured lines of credit that went unused for 360 consecutive days. The bank also announced an interest rate increase for these credit lines starting in March.

So, I offer to lend you money, you don't take me up on the offer, I charge you a fee because you didn't accept my offer?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How magnanimous?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How magnanimous?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And if you don't pay it
by Roger NC / January 30, 2009 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: How magnanimous?

you get a bad credit report. Nice huh?

Roger

Collapse -
The banks are trying everything
by Diana Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 10:35 AM PST

One of the businesses that come to Sam's had a $23,000 line of credit that was paid in full every month. It was reduced to $5,000 and now $3,000. Guess they weren't making any money in interest.

Diana

Collapse -
It's probably a subsidy for TD Ameritrade.
by Ziks511 / January 30, 2009 12:11 PM PST

Did you know that Ameritrade was owned by the Toronto Dominion Bank? Does this mean that Sam Waterston will resign from his spokesperson position because of TD gouging, or is he just an actor?

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) Ameritrade and TDBanknorth
by JP Bill / January 30, 2009 12:16 PM PST
Collapse -
And for an example of a real horror card trap
by Roger NC / January 31, 2009 3:08 AM PST
I ordered Continental Master Card on line on December 8,2006 and received the card shortly thereafter. I received a notice of charges and payment due of $50.00 before I activated the card. There were $247.00 in set up and other service charges on the card leaving $53.00 available credit.

Basically, giving you a credit card that all credit is immediately used up in fees. If this isn't illegal somehow, what a shame on our society.

Roger
Collapse -
I believe there is some justification.
by drpruner / January 31, 2009 5:47 AM PST

(Not saying it's a good idea, though.)
Since the customer could use the credit, the bank must hold reserves to cover that. That's money that can't be invested elsewhere, which one assumes would be a higher-yield place.
(Not saying they haven't already allowed for that, either.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.