The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How long should it take to remove DRM from an iTunes library

by merrybrown / January 15, 2009 1:44 AM PST

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem yet. I got my offer from Apple to pay the difference and "Un-DRM" all my stuff in iTunes. I said sure, and went through the various steps they outlined. The process has all but locked up my machine. I had to discontinue all other programs and restart the computer 3 times. It's been 3 days now. I still have 117 items left
Hoping it is almost finished. I had under 300 songs, (because podcasts are the bulk of my stuff). I can't imagine what it would be for someone with a huge library.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How long should it take to remove DRM from an iTunes library
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How long should it take to remove DRM from an iTunes library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Day four
by merrybrown / January 15, 2009 11:33 PM PST

I finally stopped the process last night, So am starting back with 113 left.

Collapse -
How long should it take to remove DRM from an iTunes library
by wizkids32 / January 16, 2009 6:37 AM PST

There should be some that are all ready DRM Free music the rest of it should be gone sometime in February.

Collapse -
it took a few hours
by ktreb / January 16, 2009 10:48 AM PST

I initially had 230 songs that were upgradeable as of the 7th. I downloaded them that night and it took a couple of hours. I'm running Windows Vista (yes...Vista...really) Home Premium. There were a few of songs that didn't fully download, but iTunes Store customer service let me download them again. I suggest you play a few seconds of each song that was part of the upgrade. If they didn't fully download, they won't play in iTunes at all (they'll skip to the next song) and you will get an error if you try to make an mp3 copy. But they will partially play if downloaded to your iPod.

I think I still have another 150 songs to upgrade that aren't upgradeable yet. Thankfully, I still had a bunch of iTunes store credit to pay for all of that.

I made the switch to Amazon's mp3 downloads last year. They have some amazing deals on whole albums. That is, if you like their deal of the day...it's not for everyone. But check back every day, because they have something different. Now that iTunes is moving ahead with DRM free, I will come back for individual song purchases, after fully reviewing them with my Rhapsody To Go membership. Hello, Apple! I would like a subscription service, please!

A girl can dream...

Collapse -
Well, mine are still going, and going, and going.
by merrybrown / January 16, 2009 2:00 PM PST
In reply to: it took a few hours

I have Windows XP and a computer with only 3GB of RAM.
Maybe that is why mine is so freakin' slow?

Collapse -
If you want to save some money, try Double Twist
by minimalist / January 17, 2009 4:26 AM PST

It worked for me. It processed about 1500 songs in 2 and a half days (running in the background). It basically writes a .wav file and then reimports it and stores a VBR MP3 file in the same folder as the original protected iTunes song. It only works on music that you are authorized to play of course.

Having a higher quality file and letting iTunes do all the heavy lifting of replacing the files and moving over star ratings etc. is definitely nice but I'm just not willing to shell out hundreds of bucks for it.

Collapse -
you have that many songs?
by ktreb / January 17, 2009 7:42 AM PST

to pay hundreds? W-O-W!

Collapse -
Well its my whole family's combined library.
by minimalist / January 17, 2009 8:15 AM PST

But as long as iTunes is authorized to play music from that account Double Twist will convert the songs.

Collapse -
iTunes DRM-free, really good for us?
by daisy-blue / February 26, 2009 7:46 PM PST

I also hope Apple gives more options on upgrading my original purchases. I have 800 pieces of music in my itunes library,and I'm counting the money that will cost if I update all of them!
$0.3*800=$240...

luckily,a music converter is much economical.So,I still use software to help me:
http://www.flash-on-tv.com/music-converter.html#141

I'll just wait for Apple to carry out more actions.

Collapse -
Highly unlikely.
by fbbbb / February 27, 2009 6:56 AM PST

You're unlikely to get a bigger 'discount'. Apple's reasoning is justly that you were happy (or dumb) enough to pay for the original DRM'd versions.

My upgrade cost was a few bucks. I have barely two albums worth of stuff from them and most of it was throwaway music, which I can nevertheless now painlessly convert to MP3 - I prefer to sample through subscription, then buy the CD's to rip.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.