Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How liberals run a business, LOL.

by James Denison / January 21, 2010 10:16 AM PST

Nothing says it better than the contrast this presents.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Air-America-Radio-closing-apf-431347943.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

Air America Radio, a radio network that was launched in 2004 as a liberal alternative to Rush Limbaugh and other conservative commentators, on Thursday shut down abruptly due to financial woes. The network once boasted hosts such as Al Franken and Rachel Maddow, but struggled from the outset, including multiple management shake-ups, a bankruptcy in 2006 and sale for $4.25 million the following year. Air America ceased airing new programs Thursday afternoon and said it will soon file to be liquidated under Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It began broadcasting reruns of programs and would end those as well Monday night.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How liberals run a business, LOL.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How liberals run a business, LOL.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Only liberals go bankrupt?
by JP Bill / January 21, 2010 11:28 AM PST
Collapse -
They wil not be missed by many...
by EdHannigan / January 21, 2010 12:39 PM PST

Unfortunately some of their rabid "personalities" continue to haunt us: Franken, Maddow...

Collapse -
This is great...
by EdHannigan / January 21, 2010 8:30 PM PST
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9631889
"The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a `perfect storm' in the media industry generally," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Gee, howcum the "perfect storm" didn't damage Rush or any of the conservative competition? Maybe it's because Air America's programming was garbage?
Collapse -
or Rush's stuff is ALSO garbage
by JP Bill / January 21, 2010 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: This is great...

and liberals enjoy garbage more than conservatives?

Collapse -
Correction
by JP Bill / January 21, 2010 8:48 PM PST

Conservatives enjoy garbage more than liberal...but both groups enjoy.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, it's the money that wins out.
by Angeline Booher / January 22, 2010 1:02 AM PST
Collapse -
No, it's the content...
by EdHannigan / January 22, 2010 1:16 AM PST

They had plenty of money to start with. Their message and presentation was lousy, so their ratings stank, so they lost money.

Collapse -
It's the content as it relates to the audience
by Josh K / January 22, 2010 4:23 AM PST

Plenty of TV shows, for example, get canceled due to bad ratings even though they're critically praised. And there's plenty of crap out there (e.g. Jerry Springer) that lasts for years because people watch it.

Unfortunately, ratings do not always correspond to the quality of the programming. I don't listen to much talk radio at all so even though I may have agreed politically with the content on Air America, it's just not the kind of thing I'd tune my radio to. I prefer either music or the news.

Collapse -
I listened to my share of Air America...
by EdHannigan / January 22, 2010 6:20 AM PST

It was pretty dreadful IMO. Kind of like if they had planted microphones in an insane asylum.

Collapse -
Of course it was "dreadful."
by Josh K / January 23, 2010 7:37 AM PST

You don't share the network's political views. Like you were going to say "except for disagreeing with them politically, I thought the programming was pretty good." Yeah, right.

Collapse -
No...
by EdHannigan / January 23, 2010 7:59 AM PST

There has been programming I didn't agree with politically that I thought was pretty good, AA just flat out stunk.

Do you really disagree? Did you think they were good?

Collapse -
Like I said.....
by Josh K / January 23, 2010 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: No...

....I never really listened to them so I don't know how good/bad they were. I just thought the odds of you finding it anything other than "disgusting" were so slim your post was gratuitous.

Collapse -
You think you know about me...
by EdHannigan / January 23, 2010 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Like I said.....

but you are way off.

Gotta break away from those prejudices.

Collapse -
RE: Gotta break away from those prejudices.
by JP Bill / January 23, 2010 12:36 PM PST
There has been programming I didn't agree with politically that I thought was pretty good,

put us on track then...

Can you give us the name to the programming, so we can "know about you"?
Collapse -
Hear those crickets chirping? LOL
by Josh K / January 26, 2010 5:00 AM PST

But then again, it's only been 3 days. Maybe he's got a huge list and is waiting until it's fully compiled before posting it. Wink

Collapse -
No...I
by EdHannigan / January 26, 2010 5:30 AM PST

just NEVER respond to him. Ever.

Collapse -
OK, tell me then
by Josh K / January 26, 2010 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: No...I

What left-leaning radio or TV programming have you liked to listen to/watch? And "M*A*S*H" doesn't count. Wink

Collapse -
Read ALL the posts...
by EdHannigan / January 26, 2010 6:51 AM PST

And you may find out.

Collapse -
RE: OK, tell me then
by JP Bill / January 26, 2010 9:27 AM PST

Ever try and nail Jello to a wall?

Collapse -
Wanda Sykes and Kathy Griffin don't count, Ed
by Josh K / January 26, 2010 11:29 PM PST

The best I found was that you occasionally find Alan Colmes "bearable."

Collapse -
WHY don't they count?
by EdHannigan / January 26, 2010 11:49 PM PST

Of course they do. That's just silly.

If you mean, what leftist propaganda do I enjoy, of course the answer is none. Though Olbermann's insane rants are sometimes amusing.

I am capable of discerning between skillful, thoughtful presentations and crap though.

Collapse -
Because they do not host political/news programs
by Josh K / January 27, 2010 12:11 AM PST

They are comedians. That's like me trying to prove I'm open to opposing viewpoints by pointing out that I like John Wayne movies. Come on, Ed, name a news/information program that's left-leaning that you think is decent to good quality programming.

Collapse -
You didn't say that, but...
by EdHannigan / January 27, 2010 12:34 AM PST

My whole point is that the left seems unable to do that format very well. So...

You want me to contradict myself? Hahaha.

Collapse -
Just wanted a direct answer to a direct question....
by Josh K / January 27, 2010 4:27 AM PST

....about a claim you had made. I guess I should have known better.

Collapse -
And I answered it.
by EdHannigan / January 27, 2010 5:39 AM PST

Too bad if you didn't like the answer.

Collapse -
I can't speak for James but ...
by Bill Osler / January 23, 2010 8:18 PM PST

Entertainment value and shared political vision are not always correlated.

I can't comment on Air America because I've never listened to it, but the things I enjoy listening to are not necessarily reflective of my political views. My list of entertaining/interesting programs from a different political slant would include several NPR programs, of which the most obviously biased is 'Fresh Air'. Nobody can listen to that and doubt Ms Gross's left wing political orientation but the show is well done and frequently entertaining. I get most of my broadcast news from NPR, and I think that most people would consider that a left-of-center news source, but they produce an interesting, varied show. I don't often watch Colbert or Jon Stewart but they are clearly left of center ... and very entertaining. Of course those shows all make SOME effort to appeal to a broader audience.

Personally I've never been very impressed by ANY of the shows that define themselves by their political views. I've never willingly listened to Rush, but I have occasionally listened to some of the Town Hall pod casts. I frequently thought they were lousy even when I did agree with them.

The closest I've come to hearing Air America was the America Left channel on satellite radio. I was riding with somebody who had satellite radio in his car. I thought it was stupid AND offensive. If Air America was anything like that small snippet of America Left then it deserved to go bankrupt.

Collapse -
Since the vast majority of entertainers...
by EdHannigan / January 23, 2010 9:16 PM PST

are liberals, it is almost impossible to avoid them. As I've said in the past, I enjoy such people as Wanda Sykes and Kathy Griffen until they start getting too political and preachy.

The problem seems to be when you get entirely political programming from the left they sound like screeching lunatics. Something about that message defies enjoyable or rational discussion. The closest I've found to being bearable is Alan Colmes, but after a while even he gets tangled in contradictions and nonsense.

And, again, I am also not able to stand much Hannity or Beck either, and I stopped listening to Rush years ago. But at least he's entertaining, and he DOES make good points.

Collapse -
These Leftists are NOT the Liberals....
by James Denison / January 24, 2010 2:17 AM PST

...of Hubert Humphrey days. He was probably one of the last liberals I would consider a respectable person.

Collapse -
Such a nice neutral header. I couldn't in a million years
by Ziks511 / January 22, 2010 7:09 AM PST

figure out your attitude on this issue.

Broadcasting is as prey to manipulation as anything else. Air America didn't have sufficient sponsorship not necessarily that it didn't have sufficient listeners, although that may indeed be true. But radio is heavily centralized -- with ClearChannel as a dominant force.
"News talk stations owned by Clear Channel usually have a standard slate of hosts. The morning show is usually local, with other timeslots filled by local and syndicated hosts. Programs that appear on many Clear Channel talk stations include Glenn Beck Program -- getting his talk show start at Clear Channel-owned WFLA (AM) in Tampa, The Rush Limbaugh Show, The Sean Hannity Show, and Coast to Coast AM, all of which are affiliated with Premiere Radio Networks in some fashion. The Savage Nation (who was until September 2009 flagshipped at Clear Channel's KNEW-910), The Mark Levin Show and Dave Ramsey are non-Premiere shows that air on many (if not most) Clear Channel stations. Limbaugh is almost universally carried on Clear Channel stations in markets where the company has a news talk station." And surprise surprise they're connected to Fox through their mutual Sports elements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications

But of course you can continue pretending you aren't being played for suckers by Corporate media whose interests run in concert with other Corporate interests in other fields. You can continue to identify with the Corporate elites who are playing fast and loose with the US economy, US jobs, US politics, US health care, Corporations who manipulate news organizations. Among other things, that's why the media isn't liberal. Some of its reporters may be, but media is owned by Corporations, and is dependent on Corporate advertizing, it can't afford to be liberal. The guys on top who do all this don't lose their jobs, they just trade organizations, they move from corporations to corporations and into government and back at will.

These are people who make the decisions that affect your lives, and you identify with them, rather than with people just like yourselves. Talk about self-hatred. Oh, and about "Special Interest Groups", there is nothing like the very restricted and purely selfish interests of the business community to qualify as "Special Interests". Community Action Groups represent hundreds, even thousands of people. Civil Rights Groups, Poverty Groups, Gay Rights Groups, and Ethnic Groups represent millions or tens of millions. Business groups represent themselves, not their workers, they represent those who run corporations, maybe 5 or 6 million people in the entire US. They don't represent their workers, they are the coalition of like-interested management against their employees.

However this is probably the least receptive forum for ideas like this. It's not your nature.

Rob

Collapse -
The name of the game...
by J. Vega / January 23, 2010 3:41 AM PST

For sponsors, the name of the game is Arbitron ratings. A 1.3 share does not attract a lot of interest.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!