General discussion

How is the Canon D20 for weddings?

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How is the Canon D20 for weddings?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How is the Canon D20 for weddings?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I think you mean the 20D. It should be fantastic if you use
Jan 3, 2005 2:19AM PST

the right lense. I have the 17mm-85mm IS USM lense which works well, but doesn't have quite as much magnification as I would like. It does have a good wide angle ability. I will be getting the 70mm-200mm/2.8L IS USM lense for the longer shots.

It shoots great pics with good light, and produces a full spread of light shades on the histogram in all the conditions I've been in so far. It also does well in low light if you crank up the ISO. It shoots as fast as you want, and has virtually no turn on lag. You will need an external flash since long lenses can throw shadows with the built in flash.

In short, I am VERY pleased with it. It is SO NICE to be able to hit the shutter a second time when a better picture suddenly presents itself. In burst mode, I got 7 full resolution jpegs of a baby Orca (8 days old) coming up for air with a little jump 'out' of the water.

- Collapse -
Good choice
Jan 4, 2005 9:23PM PST

It's a well-pricing and excellent camera. I just had it for 2 months and quite happy with. For premium picture's quaility, you need these following lenses :

1: Canon 10-22 mm EFS, for the landscaping.
2: Canon 24-70 mm F2.8L , for medium range picture talking.
3: Canon 70-200 mm F2.8L, for mostly portrait and taking pictures from the long distance.

Unless you have the budget to spend, don't buy them all at once. The last 2 are a bit expensive. However, it's worth the money for any serious photographer.

- Collapse -
Canon 20D for weddings
Jan 15, 2005 3:51AM PST

I have found when shooting auto the 9 AF Assist points can be a little tricky. If you shoot a group of people, the camera will focus on the closest person, and the other folks maybe a foot or two further back will be out of focus.

Obviously shooting on manual with a greater depth of field will solve this problem. I think I mostly need more practice with this model.

Otherwise, as the other posters have said, it is a great camera and super fast.

Aside from your lens choice, make sure you use a good off camera flash (I have had good results with the 420ex) and use an off camera sync cord for good lighting.

- Collapse -
The 20D gives you the ability to pick any of the 9 focus
Jan 15, 2005 5:37AM PST

points, or all 9 at once. You can pick the point you want to focus on.

- Collapse -
all around Lens for 20d wedding photography?
Jan 20, 2006 5:45AM PST

I have several high-end P&S but this is my first SLR. Can only afford one all-around lens to start with...sounds like the kit lens is a waste. Recommendations?

- Collapse -
I would have a close look at the 17-85mm. It produces good
Jan 20, 2006 6:11AM PST

results, operates with IS and USM in a very handy range, and is moderately priced. Its downside is that it works only with the Rebel and the 20D. As Canon moves to full frame, it will become unuseable.

Don't buy the kit lense. Use the $100 to help pay for a better lense.

I like the 24-70mm 2.8L these days, but it is considerably more expensive and lacks IS.

- Collapse -
Some lens options...
Feb 17, 2006 4:16AM PST

The following are recommended for shots at the reception, especially those "cadid" shots that people love so much...

? EF 24-70mm f/2.8L

High-quality build. Not terribly heavy. Fast aperture. Not quite as wide as I would prefer for certain shots on the 20D because of the 1.6 crop factor. Expensive. Worth it.

? EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Top-level build quality. Image stabilization. Fast aperture. Great focal length range. Heavy. Very expensive. Worth every freaking penny. My favorite lens.

? EF 16-35mm f/2.8L

I haven't bought this one yet, but the super-wide angle is almost a necessity with our 1.6 crop factor. Also a very expensive lens. I've heard from others that the price is worth it.

For formal shots (the wedding party, etc.) you should NOT use the 20D, or any other 35mm camera for that matter (okay, MAYBE the Canon EOS 1Ds MkII with its 17.6 MP sensor). Instead, bite the bullet and buy a medium format Mamiya, Rollei, or similar. Formal shots are almost always enlarged by the client (sometimes quite a bit). A 35mm simply doesn't have the resolution necessary for this, not even the 20D (I shoot with a 20D). A medium format, on the other hand is extraordinary and can produce an exceptional print even when enlarged to a mural-sized print.

- Collapse -
Locking this thread
May 2, 2010 12:04AM PDT

People are posting advertisements to this 5 year old thread.
The advertisements were deleted.
Advertisements are not permitted on this Forum.

The thread is now locked.

Forum Moderator
Snapshot2

CNET Forums

Forum Info