General discussion

How is a pc power supply regulated?

My PC is consuming more power than it used to and I haven't added/removed any hardware from it. I am running a different OS.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How is a pc power supply regulated?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How is a pc power supply regulated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Lots of variables

The PS cannot put out more power than the demand for it but will have a limit to the maximum before it shuts down or damages itself. Yes, the OS can affect the demand for power. On my old dual OS PC, more power was consumed running Win 2k than XP...this having something to do with advanced power management but I don't know how that works. The motherboard will have some voltage regulation circuity as will the PS but power regulation is demand based. Motors, electronic circuits, etc. produce some power demands of their own but running processes from the OS and software increase that demand.

- Collapse -
Small world. BAD CAPS.

Years ago when I first encountered BAD CAPS (see google) it was one of our office desktops that began to eat power supplies. Following our own advice we added 100 Watts to the PSU rating and it came back to life. It ate that PSU in a week. Wow we thought and added another 100 Watts. One more PSU and this time another tech added yet another 100 Watts (he didn't know we had changed it before.)

In each repair the machine came back to life except with 300 more Watts and at 700+ Watts from it's original 400 it finally had enough muscle to blow the BAD CAPS right off the board.

--> Now that was exciting and spurred us to look at what really was going on.

Google BAD CAPS and these will cause consumption to increase.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yag Laser Marking

Everyone sometimes needs a regulated power supply. Laboratory power
supplies are expensive and therefore we usually use what is available.
As a small voltage supply with a large current we the most frequently
use AT or ATX supplies from computers. Their disadvantage is not truly
stabilized voltage and often
need to load both the two main outputs (5 and 12V) of approximately the
same power. Therefore, I present a simple modification of the PC power
supply of type AT and ATX to a
regulated source of 3 - 15V with the true stabilization and the current
corresponding to the original 12V output.

Yag Laser Marking

- Collapse -
Open query

How do you know its using more power than before, do you have a monitor attached or metering device? Plus, you offered nothing in what your PC is. Otherwise, we're guessing out here and it may not pertain to your query.

CNET Forums