TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How important is DTS in a DVD player?

I just got a great deal on a Samsung DVD player (DVD-HD755) because there was no difference on the box descriptions between that one and the DVD-HD850. But then when I got home I learned the one I have may not support DTS. I paid $70 for this HDMI upconverting DVD player, while the DVD-HD850 sells for $150, so my question is how important is the DTS? I just got a new 44" Panasonic HDTV and am getting HDTV via Time Warner cable and am about to buy a surround sound system (probably Onkyo HT-S780 or some type of THX Onkyos system I piece together). If I have these systems, do I really need the DVD player to have DTS, won't the tv or receiver take care of that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How important is DTS in a DVD player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How important is DTS in a DVD player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CHEAP SAMSUNG D.V.D. PLAYER MAY WORK FOR YOU

In reply to: How important is DTS in a DVD player?

DOBLY DIGITAL AND D.T.S ARE BOTH 5.1. SOUND .All d.v.d. movies are incoded in dobly digital and if the movie is in d.d and d.t.s. the disk will default to d.d. and d.t.s. is an option Also d.t.s. sound is a little bit better than d.d. maimly all 5 channels will be at the same audio level . in closing I had a cheepe Sony player $100 which I gave away because of it horrrible picture and bought a Denon 2910 and the picture and sound are awsome

Collapse -
Receiver will decode

In reply to: How important is DTS in a DVD player?

When you get your receiver, it should decode both formats. You will have to send the raw or digital signal to your receiver for it to decode properly, so you will not be using the built in decoder for DTS or DD.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.