HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How hard US service people train...

by grimgraphix / January 24, 2008 2:20 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How hard US service people train...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How hard US service people train...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Survival training ....
by Angeline Booher / January 25, 2008 12:23 AM PST

...... is on as realistic a model as possible. I think it is the same for the other services, as well.

It may seem "over the top" to some, but is very necessary as it is geared to save the lives of those who serve.

For those who have the chance to see them, the Air Force often includes a demonstration of its rescue teams (from helicopters) at its air shows.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Som,e parts...
by J. Vega / January 25, 2008 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Survival training ....

Some parts of it aren't too bad, but "resistance" stinks. An old Air Force joke says that "water survival" is an attempt to make up for "land survival". Water survival was done in South Florida and was the most fun I ever had in training.

Collapse -
Grunts
by Willy / January 25, 2008 12:54 AM PST

That's not BASIC training for new recruits. Its pretty much after that(boot camp), but yes its very demanding. All services provide similar or intensive survival skills as the needs dictate. However, the Army and USMC do similar training at lower levels as they are more prone to being exposed to the elements. Whiel this all special training it gets even more intense for units that expect the utmost like SEALs, LRP, Rangers, pilots as well as any advance units or behind line units.

over & out ----- Willy (USMC)

Collapse -
non-grunt
by WOODS-HICK / January 25, 2008 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Grunts

when I went into the air national guard, in 1966, besides a minimal 6 week basic training including rifle and physical conditioning; breathing was the only requirement. then on to tech school. the pilots and AF special forces did receive more rigorous training. as soldiers and marines know we weren't much good on the ground. they protected us for the most part.

never needed you folks directly but glad you are there

out--w-h ILLANG

"No official USAF motto"

viewers' choice

http://www.military-quotes.com/mottos/US-Air-Force.htm

Collapse -
Nav/Bombs had one...
by J. Vega / January 25, 2008 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: non-grunt

Nav/Bombs had one from a patch- DILLIGAFF. Does It Look Like I Give A Flying "Ahem".

Collapse -
Pacthes and the like
by Willy / January 25, 2008 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Nav/Bombs had one...

My mentiality was very different when I saw other services in olive drab, as they had all those patches, insignia, name tags, yada, yada. All we ever had was a iron-on patch <USMC> and rank. My favorite interpetion of USMC was "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children". wahhh! -----Willy

Collapse -
Yeah, it's a hard training program ...
by Bill Osler / January 25, 2008 7:56 AM PST

My father was an instructor at the USAF survival program in Alaska during the Korea era. It sounds like it was pretty intense back then, too, though it has changed some over the years. I didn't realize it was a new training program when he was there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.