TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HOW GOOD IS YOUR OVER THE AIR H.D. RECEPTION?

by stewart norrie / December 15, 2005 6:55 AM PST

In my case AWSOME. I have the dish 811 system and with a cheap outside antenna I receive 18 over the air digital channels 9 in hi-def I live in San Jose Ca and about 60 miles from San Francisco. I notice when I do an anolog scan those same stations look terrible snow ghosts etc. If I turn my antenna (no rotor) I even pick up K.C.R.A in sacremento ca. The reason I ask you folks is I have heard people say that there over the air digital reception was terrible anyway MARRY XMAS AND A HAPPY HOLIDAY TO YOU ALL and may you enjoy years of awsome hi-def home theater STEWART NORRIE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW GOOD IS YOUR OVER THE AIR H.D. RECEPTION?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW GOOD IS YOUR OVER THE AIR H.D. RECEPTION?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OTA
by Tyler2000 / December 15, 2005 10:16 AM PST

I would also like to hear how other people's HD OTA reception is.

I don't have OTA HDTV yet(I'm getting one for christmas) and I'm wondering what to expect.

Since OTA HDTV is almost all or nothing with signal strength, I'm wondering if there is a formula that says "if you are up to 'x' miles away from the transmission tower for perfect SD transmisson, then you can get perfect HD transmission up to 'y' miles."

There might be too many issues for a direct connection between HD and SD signals(i.e. HD signals may be weakened more by tall trees than SD signals)

Does any of that make any sense?

Collapse -
It all depends on the antenna and the placement
by ZOD / December 15, 2005 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: OTA

Funny story, when I bought my HD TV and first set it up I had a Terk TV 55 amplified antenna (an indoor and outdoor model) temporarily set up on a window sill. I did it this way because Direct TV was being installed later that week and I was going to have the technician mount it as high on my house as possible. Anyway, with it inside my house and at ground level, I had 90 plus signal strength and got all my local station (Providence) plus all the Boston ones. Well, I have the guy mount the thing and I lost all my Providence stations and my signal stregth is in the 65 to 80 range.

Now, it was mounted in almost the same location, just outside and higher up on my house. Plus, I went to one of those local antenna locators and made sure that it was on the correct side of the house relative to the trasmitters and it is. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I am getting signals from 40 plus miles away and cannot get stations that are located 12 miles or less.

As a general rule, just make sure the antenna is on the correct side of the house relative to the stations you are trying to get and then test the reception before mounting it in place. Plus, amplified antennas seem to be the way to go.

Collapse -
here is a link, have fun. John
by jcrobso / December 16, 2005 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: OTA
Collapse -
MORE INFORMATION TO ADD
by stewart norrie / December 16, 2005 6:21 AM PST

I just contacted friends that have over the hi-def tuners and they all live in the same area one friend has the same 811 dish tuner and he said his reception is awsome another 2 friends had a build in hi-def tuner in there t.vs and told me they could only get 2 or 3 local channels so Iam thinking it could be some hi-def tuners just wont do the job stewart norrie

Collapse -
OTA Reception
by ecubes / December 17, 2005 12:49 AM PST

I am using a regualr old antenna I found laying around and my reception is awesome. It took a little time to figure out where to place the antenna. I own a Dell W3706MC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.