Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

How does one get search engines to find their site(s)?

by JodyWood / January 28, 2004 1:45 AM PST

What does one need to do to get their site(s) listed or findable via a search engine such as Google?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Jody Wood

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does one get search engines to find their site(s)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does one get search engines to find their site(s)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How does one get search engines to find their site(s)?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 1:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: How does one get search engines to find their site(s)?
by Roseb44170 / October 9, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

Well you generally have to understand how search engines work. When a visitor is looking for a specific type of information they will type it into a search engine and that search engine will return a list of links that are revelant to the terms that people search for.

A lot of search engines offer to place your site higher in the rankings for a fee. I do my pages manually and try to keep them at least in the first three pages of the list of links. It's not something that you can do just once - it has to be done on a continual basis.

It used to be thought that having the right words in one's meta tags helped you to get a higher ranking but now I have seen posts that have said it has to do with the words/content of your site and how many people link to it.

Another thing that you should be aware of is that new websites are being added to the Internet everyday which in theory means that your page gets bumped down the list as far as rankings go. So that means that you have to keep abreast of this as well.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

Collapse -
by jtwolverine8 / October 13, 2004 10:38 PM PDT

Maybe you could try adding your site to OTHER search engines first, like Yahoo!, AltaVista , OverTune, Webscralwer etc. The key thing is that you need lots of people to find you before you get listed to Google. I know that there is a service that automatically submit your site to 10 or more search engine for free. I tried it, and then tried to get included in Google. My site appeared 1 week later. Hope this works!:)
Jason TBK

Collapse -
by Dale Johnston / October 14, 2004 3:37 PM PDT

Not true at all. I have a domain which has never been submitted to any search engines, and Google crawled it within the first three days of it being uploaded.

I also have another site which has been found by Google the same way. Want to know how to promote it for Google? Link to your site.

I link to the newer of my sites in my signature at various places around the net, which means it is listed on thousands of pages by dozens of large sites.

Collapse -
by ignaciovd / October 14, 2004 4:36 PM PDT

Would you mind to tell us how to link with google? quite probably you are talking about to make a hyperlink to google, are we alright? Thanks.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 14, 2004 7:40 PM PDT

ignaciovd,

[Quote] Would you mind to tell us how to link with google? quite probably you are talking about to make a hyperlink to google, are we alright? Thanks [/endQuote].

Are you posing a question to Dale's reply above? Or asking how to get your website listed by Google?

I think you are asking how Dale links with Google, but that is not what he means.

Google and the other Search engines now trawl internet web sites and check out the links on those sites. If they find a number of links to, say, "www.mywebsite.com" they will treat this as a popular web site and list it in their database. It seems from Dale's reply that we can help promote our own sites by making a link to them whenever we visit any other sites and leave a signature. EG my signature might be "markflax", but it would have embedded in it a link to "www.mywebsite.com". I'm not sure if this would work in places like these forums as I don't know if the trawl searches forums like this.

If you want to place a link in your own web site to google, you would have to insert a link into the html page something like,

<a href="www.google.com"> Click here for Google</a>

or something similar.

If you want Google to list your web site, then the other replies above will help you. Check Bob Proffits reply which included a link to Google's overview page.

markflax

Collapse -
by jtwolverine8 / October 14, 2004 9:37 PM PDT

uz another idea...get more people to link to your site as well...Hope the ideas that the rest contributed help you as well...
JasonTBK

Collapse -
by ankitmathur / October 15, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

U must have been lucky dear. This is the first time I'm reading or, hearing of google itself crawling the site without urself submitting it for their crawler & that too within 3 days.

I myself am trying to bring my site on geocities to search engines but am so far been unable to it. Probably u may want to suggest me a thing or, two that I may do to get my site listed on search engines like google & yahoo.

Hoping for a quick reply from any or, all viewing this message.

Thanks in advance to all the helping hands.

Have a nice day........
Ankit Mathur

Collapse -
by Daedalus / October 27, 2004 7:21 AM PDT

Hello Ankit,

I would recommend getting away from geocities and getting a real domain name such as yourdomain.com. Some search engine and directories don't like geocities hosted sites because of pop ups and down time, and since it is so cheap why not spend $35 per year at doteasy.com?

http://www.seoresource.net

Collapse -
by ankitmathur / October 30, 2004 6:17 AM PDT

Thanks Daedalus,

I too am actively looking to get my domain name.

I hope these seach engines will be able to incorporate the new site as n when it goes live.

In the meanwhile would u rec. some pts. to get the site running smoothly.

Collapse -
Running smoothly
by PudgyOne / October 30, 2004 6:27 PM PDT

I would recommend that you make sure to have all your meta tags ready for your website. Things like your business name, address, city, state, zip, phone number. Then I recommend that you remember to give a description of your website. Then remember to use keywords describing your website, anything you sell, colors, smells, etc. Remember to try to put only a few images on each page so that the pages load faster. A customer hates to wait for pages to load, especially if they are using a 56k modem. And most important thing to remember is to BACK-UP your images, pictures, graphics and notes. A while back my friends website server took a voltage surge and everything was gone except the descriptions of the items. By luck I had everything burned on a disk. Her website was up and running eight hours after it came back online. Other websites didn't even back-up their files and had to start all over again. Remember to back-up your work.

Collapse -
by Daedalus / October 27, 2004 7:17 AM PDT

Like has already been said, all you need is to have other sites linking to your site in order for Google to find you.

One way to do this is to put up a reciprocal links page and ask similar sites to trade links with you.

Another way is to submit your site to free directories like DMOZ.org.

http://www.seoresource.net

Collapse -
by iceage / November 12, 2004 2:18 AM PST

I agree with Daedalus that 'linkbacks' enhance your chances of getting hit by a searchbot tremendously. Still there are some other things that you can do to make your website searchbot friendly.

Add a robots.txt file to your website's root directory. Most searchbots including Google look for this file in order to determine what to spend its time on. For more information see: http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm

Searchbots are intelligent now, and few of them actually still use metatag information at all. I have never used metatag info for searchbots and my websites get crawled fine. Adding 100 keywords isn't going to get you anywhere anymore.

Your site wil NOT be crawled if you use your default webpage as a redirect to another url, even if it is within your domain, or if you have hidden navigation.

Don't embed navigation in a flash file; most searchbots can't detect it, and if they can they typically do not catalog it. Instead, create a flash button and use <a href></a> for navigation when its clicked, much in the same way that you use an image as a link.

Title your webpages properly. It is typically the webpage title that is used as the description in the actual search engine results, not the description that you use to submit your site to the search engine.

Collapse -
by timwerx / November 13, 2004 10:35 AM PST

1) A nice-looking page with useful, quality content.
2) HTML code that loads the page quickly and correctly in all the popular web browsers.
3) An established URL. (Don't move your page around or change its name.)
4) Patience.

I have a page on Japanese verbs which I started a few years ago. It has finally reached the #1 position of 155,000+ similar pages at Google.

No brag just fact.

Collapse -
Gee guys, does anyone think she's reading?
by Dale Johnston / November 16, 2004 1:23 PM PST

Check the date the poster asked the question.... JANUARY! I'd say this topic is covered and the poster went home long ago? Wink

Collapse -
The topic may remain open
by ankitmathur / March 31, 2005 11:34 PM PST

Hi Dale,

She might have gone back...but the topic can be ensued for new users n joinees to this part of the forum.

Wotsay!!!!

I'm looking forward for more concrete suggestions to get my geocities site listed in search engines.

Collapse -
Not going to happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 11:59 PM PST

I'm sure you noticed that geocities sites never seen to appear in google searches.

Ever wonder why?

Hint: Get a real site and domain.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.