General discussion

How does one create peer-to-peer network on Windows 7

I have HP Pavilion DV3 laptop running on Windows 7 Home premium. I tried setting up peer-to-peer net work by connecting Ethernet ports of laptop and another computer. After clicking on "Network" tab in Libraries screen, I could not go beyond naming my laptop as "homegroup computer". The Laptop did not recognise the other computer. How do I go further? Can Cnet community guide me?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How does one create peer-to-peer network on Windows 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How does one create peer-to-peer network on Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds proper. Research this.

Your average Ethernet cable and ports would not be wired right.

A crossover cable would be required to just use Ethernet ports without a hub or router. More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX

- Collapse -
It had worked with Windows 98!

Thanks for the guidance. But, such straight Ethernet cabling between two computers had worked with Windows 98. Through "my network places" option, I had connected to other computers quite regularly. Anyway, will check the link provided by you.

Thank you very much for your time!

- Collapse -
One thing.

Your machine is not on Windows 98 so we can't count on auto mdix any longer. This is not only a hardware feature but controlled by driver software. The link explains why.
Bob

- Collapse -
Does that other compurer run Windows 98?
- Collapse -
Setting up a network
- Collapse -
It is Windows 7 to XP Professional

Dear Tara,

Thank you for giving the link. I shall follow it. I was trying to set up peer-to-peer connection another desktop which runs on Windows XP Professional.

- Collapse -
Windows XP and Windows 7 Peer to Peer

I was told on another website that when trying to network these two you have to be sure to keep same user, password, and the same computer names for both systems and that IPX/SPX protocol had to be added to both OS and that Vista IPX/SPX works for Windows 7 and considering that Windows 7 is basically Vista incognito that makes sense. Trying to get Microsoft OS to work together is a pain and this is why Linux and IBM are constantly working to find new ways to make this possible I guess. Hope this helped I too will be trying to hook peer to peer Windows XP to Windows 7 good luck to both of us we will probably need it

CNET Forums

Forum Info