The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How does Guild Wars compare to WoW?

by LifeStar / February 27, 2006 5:38 AM PST

I've been hearing a lot of different opinions between these two games, and I've been itching lately to try something new. I like the fact that GW is free to play online, but is it comparable to the reviews and gameplay as WoW? Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does Guild Wars compare to WoW?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does Guild Wars compare to WoW?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Guild Wars is very shallow compared to WoW
by Jasmes / February 27, 2006 8:30 AM PST

I don't like Guild Wars nearly as much as WoW. the gameplay is closer to Diablo 2 than an MMORPG... and the graphics are pretty bland... gameplay is shallow... the world is no where near as huge feeling... etc

Collapse -
I like GW.
by Noob1012 / February 27, 2006 11:10 AM PST

I moved from WoW to GW. I find GW a little bit more relaxing. The ''no monthly fee'' gives me the feeling that I can play at my home pace without breaking my bank. The overpopulation and lagfest of WoW is just unbearable.

The graphics are okay, not the greatest, but it's not terrible. The few things you'll be missing is the amount of hotkeys you can have (can only use 8 spells). You also don't have the options of looks and race. A monk will be a specific race only...however you can be able to have a secondary class along with your primary class.

The travelling function is very nice and is something that no other MMO has. You can open the map and instantly port to different cities, which is a bonus.

I personally like it. Yes it's not as good as Wow, but a definite alternative to the game w/o the lag.

Collapse -
OOPS...
by Noob1012 / February 27, 2006 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: I like GW.

You also don't have the options of looks and race with class is what I meant. However for each race you can select facial features.

Collapse -
Curious as to what Veronica thinks about GW.
by LifeStar / February 27, 2006 11:32 PM PST

I know Veronica is a big WoW fan, and the Buzz crew even mentioned how WoW was becoming the new "golf" for 20-something year olds. I'm curious if she's tried Guild Wars, and how long has she been playing WoW?

It seems both games have their advantages, any other insights will definitely help me choose. Thanks!

Collapse -
D&D - late to the game
by MacHugger / February 28, 2006 8:56 AM PST

Funny, the Atari rep had this to say about the new online D&D MMORPG.

''D&D is an iconic brand that has spawned a legion of imitators, but this game delivers the real thing to online gaming fans everywhere.''

Spawned a lot of imitators? At this point, YOU are the imitator, Atari. In other words, you happened to be partnered with the company who legally holds the rights to D&D, as if D&D were the only original fantasy world ever created.

At least Everquest and World of Warcraft had the talent and business sense to develop a Mac version. I won't be giving Guild Wars or D&D the time of day.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
wait...
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / February 28, 2006 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: D&D - late to the game

no Mac version of D&D?? I wanted to play it so bad!

To answer the earlier questions, I have no played Guild Wars, but I've heard good things. However, I'm very happy with World of Warcraft, and I don't have any plans on giving it up!

V

Collapse -
I searched and searched
by MacHugger / February 28, 2006 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: wait...

and found no evidence that there is a Mac version of D&D or that they were even thinking about a port. Same with Guild Wars. At least if they are out there or are in the works, there isn't anything being said about it.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
How is the lag for you on WoW Veronica?
by LifeStar / February 28, 2006 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: wait...

One of the things I've heard about WoW vs. GW is the lag issue. Since GW creates instances of battles in game play, it creates less occurences of the game environment to lag. However, since WoW is just huge, the lag occurs more often, or at least that's what I've read from reviewers about WoW.

Have you found this to be true?

Collapse -
lately

there has been a little more queue time getting in to my server (Uther) but I've never really had a lag issue. HOWEVER, it appears that I'm lucky. Most of my friends have been having lag, big time.

As for GW, I have no idea...

Collapse -
How hard is it for the developers to make a Mac version?
by LifeStar / February 28, 2006 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: D&D - late to the game

You brought up a good pt. and it was cool to see Veronica respond this forum topic! I am curious though as to why does it take a long time to port PC/other console games to the Mac? Is it because they have to rewrite the gaming engine or do a major code conversion from a x86 architecture based SW to a ... wait... shouldn't that not be a problem with the new McBook Pros??? Thoughts?

Collapse -
I'm no programmer but...
by MacHugger / March 1, 2006 3:28 AM PST

I don't see why it would be any easier for software (game) developers to port their code to the OSX now that it runs on Intel chips.

The OS is the issue, not the hardware on which it works (I think).

The only thing I have to back me up on this is the fact that when Macintosh moved to a Unix-based operating system with OSX, suddenly applications like Maya showed up on the Mac because it was a RELATIVELY easy port to move the code from the SGI to the Macintosh.

The hardware was dramatically different but the underlying operating system (Unix) was fundamentally the same.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
But did Apple move away from the chip HW too?
by LifeStar / March 1, 2006 4:01 AM PST

I'm not saying that porting GW or DD should be easier to port to the Mac, but I am wondering what makes it difficult to do so? Even in the linux world, they've created an emulator called WINE that would allow windows based apps to run to an extent. There's even now a product called VMWare that says it can allow one computer to run different OSes and versions.

I know there was all this buzz before about somehow dual-booting a McBook with WinXP & OS X, but the Buzz crew stopped mentioning that. Wondered what happened.

Collapse -
WIsh a programmer would chime in
by MacHugger / March 1, 2006 4:28 AM PST

I wish one of the programmers on here would help to answer that question. I'm sure software exists out there to aid in such ports. But I imagine it's one of those situations where the first 90% is really easy but the last 10% takes a lot of digging deep in code to squash the bugs.

Companies like Blizzard co-developed Mac and PC versions from the start so it was easy. Whereas a straight-up port after it's all been finished is a little more resource intensive and the company just has to decide if the investment will be worth the return.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Not a programmer, but...
by rtemp / March 1, 2006 5:16 AM PST

Here's what I know (in a nutshell):

I don't know if the switch to Intel makes it inherently easier to port apps from Windows to Mac, but it definitely can't complicate the process.

Now, if/when a new version of VirtualPC comes out (I don't know how VMware and others work, so I can't comment), it will makes things run better since VirtualPC runs Windows inside an environment of emulated hardware. Having a main component in common would make it much less crappy.

Games, depending on how they do their fancy eye-candy, could be cake or a nightmare to convert based on what technology is used to render everything (OpenGL vs. DirectX). Most games are written with DirectX in mind because apparently it's easier to work with, but is only available for Windows. Some things, like Doom3 (and from what I can tell, WoW), are written in OpenGL, something available across platforms.
In other words, if something is written for Windows in OpenGL, I can't see how it would be very difficult to convert for use on a Macintel. This depends on how much is OS-reliant, something I don't know at all.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Not as much an MMO...
by blacktie_productions / February 28, 2006 1:29 PM PST

The big difference between GW and WoW (or GW and all other MMOs, for that matter, with the exception of DDO) is that Guild Wars is fully instanced. It's kind of cool, since you don't have to worry about spawn camping, ninja looting, etc and can go into heavily scripted areas. It also makes for interesting - though fairly small-scale, which is good for lag but bad for the 'epic battle' feeling - PvP.

But, as Jasmes said, it's a lot less like a world than WoW is. You're not going to see as many people, and it's harder to immerse yourself when you're constantly being whisked off to instances or jumping across the world with a click.

It's worth a try... since there's no monthly fee it'll be a good game to come back to every once in a while. I don't think it's a game I could get hooked on, though.

Collapse -
So I read the WoW rant on another posting...
by LifeStar / March 2, 2006 12:27 AM PST

Seems interesting about peoples' opinions on WoW. Yesterday I was IMing a friend and she mentioned how she was a recovering WoW addict and strongly suggested to me to NOT get either GW or WoW. She had to quit cold turkey as she was using her friend's account and didn't own an actual copy of WoW.

So I guess I'm curious as to if WoW is really that engrossing? According to the website listed in that other posting, WoW seems to reward people more so for how much time they spend on the system vs. pure skill. People who like to praise GW says that's the case, max out at level 20 and the rest is up to your own skill in the game.

Thoughts, esp. from you Veronica?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.