Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do you undelete a shredded/overwritten file?

I just ogt a new computer and transferred a fodler to it. After that I used file shredder to shred my free disk space. When it finished I went into the folder and it was empty. So, how can recover this folder. I tried alot of software and nothing has worked.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you undelete a shredded/overwritten file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you undelete a shredded/overwritten file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems Like You Could Just Transfer It Again..

In reply to: How do you undelete a shredded/overwritten file?

Use the original transfer media to copy it to the Vista machine again.. Unfortunately, once the file has been shredded/wiped/written over, you might as well consider it gone.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You can't

You can't, and that's the whole point of overwriting/shredding/etc. It's not supposed to be recoverable.

Collapse -
As already stated your BEST BET would be to once again ...

copy the files from the original location onto the new computer and avoid "file shredders" until you fully understand what you are doing.

If you can't copy the files from the original location for some reason (maybe you shredded them too?) you are left with the option of contacting one of the companies that deal with clean room data recovery and for (depending on drive size) several hundreds or several thousands of dollars they will ATTEMPT to recover what they can - even with multiple overwrites this thing called residual magnetism sometimes allows partial data recovery.

It all boils down to the value of the data and knowing what you are doing BEFORE you do it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.