Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do you turn it off?

by DIANNNA / November 5, 2004 4:57 AM PST

A coworker bought a used pc. It is running windows 2000 pro. When you shut down from the start screen it tells you that you can turn off your system now. When you hold down the power switch it restarts.

How can you get the system to power down completely instead of showing this message?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you turn it off?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you turn it off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We need to find out if the system
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2004 5:34 AM PST

is of the AT type or the ATX type.

That message is associated with the AT type systems. In an AT type system, the Power Switch is an alternate action type switch. Push it once and it latches and stays on. Push it again and it latches and turns off. It holds itself on or off you simply push it firmly and let go. The ATX system uses a momentary contact switch which is "spring loaded" to the off [open position]. When you depress it a momentary closed contact is made and circuitry on the motherboard [mobo]turns the system on.

For an AT type switch there is a bundled of heavily insulated wires going from the power supply to the switch. For an ATX type power switch there are no wires from the power supply to the switch. The wires from the switch are very small diameter and go to a place on the mobo where the other items from the front panel are connected.

There were mobo's that have power connectors that allow use of either an AT type of Power Supply or an ATX power supply [different connectors on the mobo]

It is possible that it was formerly an AT type and changed to an ATX type but the type of power supply switch was not changed and the BIOS was not changed to tell the system to respond as an ATX type.

Need to take the cover off and look at the Power Supply and wiring to the power supply switch.

Maybe tell us what type mobo it has.

Need more info from you to solve the problem. If AT type it gets turned off by turning the switch off, no other choice. But it seems that this system is some sort of cross breed.

Collapse -
Re: We need to find out if the system
by DIANNNA / November 5, 2004 6:48 AM PST

I will have to ck on that I know that the guy said that the mother board would work with both types of power supplys.

Collapse -
That's good.
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2004 7:30 AM PST

Will be able to solve the problem one way or the other.

Need to know what type of Power Supply presently in there, what type of Power Switch on the front of the case. Also while looking, see if you/he/they can look in the BIOS to see where to select the power supply type.

Can get adapter and/or switch from cyberguys or other such place if needed.

In the meantime shut the system off by using the switch that is on the rear of the Power Supply [if there is one].

Collapse -
Re: That's good.
by DIANNNA / November 5, 2004 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: That's good.

It has an ATX power supply and a momentary switch I will try to look at the bios settings when she has time for me to come over to her house. At this time she is aready doing what the other poster suggested and using the back switch. That is how she was shown when she got it. She is perfectly happy with it as is but it just bugs me that it doesn't work as it should.

I think he replaced the case at some point so the earlier statement makes sense.

Collapse -
Chantman's post may be correct.
by Ray Harinec / November 5, 2004 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Re: That's good.

The BIODS for an ATX usually gives the option for immediate shutdown or to take holding the switch in for 4 to 5 seconds to shutdown. Check which option is being used. If it is immediate shutdown then holding the button in could conceivably turn it back on, but I doubt it.

If the BIOS is set to ATX it should shutdown automatically. HOWEVER that OK to shutdown screen may show for a short moment.

This also gives rise to the possibility that the shutdown is simply not working properly. Not an unusual problem.

Here is a link to see things to try to clear up the failure to shutdown. Read the section about Windows shutdown problems, if the BIOS setting is correctly set for ATX..

Collapse -
Re: Try not holding the button in so long. Hit the button
by chantman0 / November 5, 2004 10:36 AM PST

You may be just be holding the button in too long. Try doing it quickly. Kinda like hitting it softly.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?