PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How do you test a power supply under load?

by apchar / March 27, 2008 3:42 AM PDT

About 2 months ago my PC croaked. It would start up and immediately shut down. The CPU had been running hot so I replaced it. No help. So I yanked the Antec SP-500 power supply to test it. I shorted pins 14-15 to get it to turn on.
With no load the voltages are what they're supposed to be. So I tried loading it down with some big (>100W) resistors from work. Below is the setup
Pins 14-15 shorted
2 ohm resistor across pins 10-15 (the +12V line)
.75 ohm resistor across pins 1-15 (the 3.3V line)
.75 ohm resistor across pins 6-15 (the +5V line)
A 10 ohm resistor across the 12V line on the 4 pin mobo power connector.
A fluke multimeter to measure the voltages.

I didn' t load the -12V line since the spec says the minimum current draw is 0 A.
All the other lines should be drawing more than their minimum (.5 A) and much less than their maximums.
When I fire it up the 3.3V line goes down to 1.3 V, the 12V line drops to 10.6V, and the 5V line drops to 3V. So I figured the power supply was dead. Just to verify my results I applied the loads to another power supply that I know is OK and got about the same result. So there must be something wrong with my setup. What could be wrong?
Thanks,
Apchar

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you test a power supply under load?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you test a power supply under load?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compare with Tom's.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 3:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
thats a fancy rig. too fancy.
by apchar / March 27, 2008 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Compare with Tom's.

Toms test rig looks nice but I'm not going to shell out that kind of cash for a rig I'd only use once in a blue moon. His write up says the rig uses resistors but little detail is given. I'm using resistors too.

Collapse -
You didn't detail it either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

That 2 ohm would be some 6 amperes. I saw one rig where they tried that on just one connector. Try using 1 ampere per connection to remove the loss from wire and connectors. Or open up the PSU and measure directly on the PCB.

Collapse -
loss should be minimal
by apchar / March 27, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

The wires in this thing are at least 18 Ga. The loss at 6A should be negligible. The 3.3V line is rated for 32A.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: loss should be minimal

I have an oscilloscope and a hot iron (and more.)

So my advice is to not drop such a load on one wire and connector. The last time I checked it was only good for 2 amps per.
Bob

Collapse -
There are 3 3.3V rails
by apchar / March 27, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

There are only 3 3.3V rails to carry 32A. That's 10.7A each. I'm only trying to pull 4.4A. I ohm'd them out and they're all connected internally.

Collapse -
The stock molex connector is not rated for that much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: There are 3 3.3V rails

You are over 2x it's rating so spread that load to at least 3 leads for plus and the ground (6 connections total.)

Collapse -
stock molex is good to about 9-12A
by apchar / March 28, 2008 3:25 AM PDT

Stock molex connectors are good to between 9-12A per terminal. I'm only pulling 4.4 and only for a few seconds.

Collapse -
Just checked the specs again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

It's either you are over or the PSU is toast.

Collapse -
have you tried a power supply tester?
by ramarc / March 27, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

if all you need is a thumbs up/down, a $20 unit will do the trick.

antec's: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77203

this one's gotten good reviews:
http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-165.html?id=s7uYuWwT
http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2006/02/23/a-better-power-supply-tester/

if you really want to test the output quality of a power supply under various loads, you need something like a SunMoon SM-268 or SM-8800. but that's professional equipment and i don't think you want to speed $5K+ to test a $50 power supply.

Collapse -
It looks like they just check unloaded lines
by apchar / March 27, 2008 6:38 AM PDT

Looking at the specs/features for all but the SunMoon devices these testers only verify the unloaded voltages. I can (and did) do that with a multimeter. The PSU looked fine unloaded. It's when I threw a load on that the voltages dropped so much.

Collapse -
sun moon's can apply and monitor load
by ramarc / March 27, 2008 8:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
SunMoon device is might pricey.
by apchar / March 28, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

Is there anything in these SunMoon things besides some power resistors, switches, and multimeters? I couldn't afford one anyway. I should be able to accomplish the same thing with what I have. I just don't know if there's anything more to it than just hooking resistors across the pins for each rail and shorting the PSON pin to ground.

Collapse -
you can buy a
by Noobie Tuesday / March 28, 2008 12:13 AM PDT

Digital multimeter that includes and RS232 hookup and electrical monitoring software

sears has one or you can buy a tesla they are more pricey but the electronics in the multimeter are a higher grade

Collapse -
I'm using a multimeter
by apchar / March 28, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: you can buy a

I'm using a fluke multimeter. It's a very accurate DMM.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.