Mac OS forum

Question

How do you sort all icons in OSX Lion?

by Benhermies / September 6, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

I recently got a Macbook with Lion installed. I'm new to OSX and want to know how to have all icons stay automatically arranged by name. I can do it folder-by-folder but that is too frustrating. Is there an easier way?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you sort all icons in OSX Lion?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you sort all icons in OSX Lion?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can't find the HD in Finder.
by Benhermies / September 6, 2011 10:47 PM PDT

Hi guys,

Collapse -
In Finder
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 12:56 AM PDT

in the menu bar, click Finder > Preferences.
In the next window, select the General Tab
Put a check mark in the box marked Hard Disks
Then in the Sidebar Tab
Put a check mark in the box marked Hard Disks

Close the window

Now the HD should appear at the top right of the screen and also in the Sidebar when you open a window.

Right click (Control + Click) on the HD icon at the top right of the screen. Choose Get Info
This will show you how much space you have used and how much you have left

P

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
open the hard drive window
by Mr. Gregg / September 6, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

then command-J to open Show View Options
Select Arrange by Name
click the Use as defaults button

Collapse -
Answer
and the other answers are:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 10:31 AM PDT

Files that are dragged from one folder to another, on the same hard drive, are moved and not copied.

Collapse -
And to expand on that
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2011 11:27 AM PDT

And to expand on that a little more, if you hold down the option key while dragging the files, it will change to copy instead of move.

There is no cut and paste like function similar to Windows, and while that's a completely idiotic feature from a design point of view, I have to admit it's darn handy. Just one of the things you have to learn to live without in the Mac world, though I'd say on the whole, it's a very small price to pay.

Collapse -
Answer
Can't find the HD in Finder.
by Benhermies / September 6, 2011 10:51 PM PDT

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. But I have a stupid question... how do you find the installed HD? There's no icon for it on the desktop and it's not listed under Devices. This leads to another question. How do I know how much space I've used on my drive?

Collapse -
By default
by Jimmy Greystone / September 6, 2011 11:01 PM PDT

By default it's not shown on the desktop. Not entirely sure why, but basically you can just clock on the Mac face icon on the Dock, which is the one that looks like a two tone face with a line running down the middle. That will bring up a Finder window. You can also go to the Finder preferences and on the general tab there's a checkbox for showing Hard Drives on the desktop. That will make it show up on the desktop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?