Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you rename a Bookmark folder in Firefox 3

by royeo / December 3, 2008 2:41 PM PST

This isn't necessarily an XP related question since Firefox is used in other OSs, but... .

I have Windows XP Pro, SP3 and use Firefox 3.0.4.

How do you rename a Bookmark folder in Firefox 3? In 2, in "Organize Bookmarks...", I could just highlight the folder and push the "Rename" button that was on the toolbar. But in 3, there is no longer a "Rename" button. Can somebody please tell me how to rename a Bookmark folder now, in Firefox 3?

Thanks,

royeo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you rename a Bookmark folder in Firefox 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you rename a Bookmark folder in Firefox 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're over thinking it
by Jimmy Greystone / December 3, 2008 3:25 PM PST

You're over thinking it, and you're going to kick yourself when you realize how easy it is.

There are actually at least two ways to do this.

1: From the main bookmarks menu, right click on the folder you want to rename, select properties, type in the new name, select save changes, and you're done

2: From the organize bookmarks window, click on the folder you want to rename, on the lower right will be a textbox with the name that you can edit, then just click somewhere outside of that box to save the changes

A third option might be to download a program that can manipulate SQLite databases, since that's how Firefox now stores bookmarks. However, that seems a little overkill, and has the potential to ruin some of the "behind the scenes magic" that makes up some of the unsung hero features of Firefox 3. Like being able to search your bookmarks from the address bar by simply starting to type the name of the bookmark you're looking for, and being able to add categories to your bookmarks so you don't really even need folders anymore.

Collapse -
Hmmm, I learn something new everyday.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 8:12 PM PST

And I have said that many times before in these forums.

I had the same problem a while ago, and couldn't sort it out. I found the Properties route after a while, but never even saw that text box at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks Jimmy. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Renaming...
by royeo / December 4, 2008 6:53 AM PST

Yes, the first two solutions were very easy, but I would never have thought of the first one. The second one I should have thought of. Thank you.

Roy O'Neill

Collapse -
thanks
by magenta555 / December 18, 2008 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Renaming...

thanks for the advice

i was having exactly the same problem ...duh!!!

Collapse -
You are so right - about overthinking...
by MsFrugaLadyOneBay / March 2, 2014 10:34 PM PST

You are so right - I wanted to kick myself - once my eyes moved Right-Down to the Edit Box.
After all he rt-clicks and googling" for help, I could not believe how simple it was to edit the Folder name.
I'm kinda laffing at myself - for not being more observant of the screen.

Thanks Jimmy Greystone

Collapse -
How do I rename a bookmark folder
by bankipore / May 21, 2010 8:35 AM PDT

I am using Firefox 3. In the bookmark page I clicked
"Organize bookmarks". Then I created a new folder.
It appeared as a "New Folder". How do I name it?

~ Bankipore

Collapse -
Just rename it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 11:06 PM PDT

In the Organise Bookmarks window, highlight the folder and rename it where it is displayed bottom right hand section of the window.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!