Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you reformat an external hard drive?

by raajan / February 24, 2006 3:28 PM PST

I currently have a Maxtor 80 gig external HD... running on Windows XP... I received "I/O device error"... ChkDsk doesn't work... so now I just want to reformat the HD... doesnt matter if I lose my data... any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you reformat an external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you reformat an external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try Maxtor's supplied CD. No CD? Maxtor.com ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 3:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Didn't come with CD...
by raajan / February 24, 2006 4:33 PM PST

My Maxtor HD was one that you just plug and use... I looked on Maxtor.com... only gives reformatting instructions for Windows 98... but I use Windows XP...

Collapse -
Try right clicking My Computer
by retired / February 24, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't come with CD...

Left click Manage, double click Disk Management and if it is listed you can format the drive.

Collapse -
Why right click format won't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 12:10 AM PST

In this case it's a NTFS partition. To change this you need to remove the partition and create a FAT32 partition. It's possible that FDISK in a DOS WINDOW (Windows is still running) can do this, but many didn't learn these skills.

This is why I suggest the supplied CD or if they lost that, maxtor.com.

What I'm seeing is less computer owners and more users. Unless the process was mousified, many will not dive in.

Bob

Collapse -
was already in FAT32 partition....
by raajan / February 25, 2006 9:08 AM PST

I was able to format to NTFS using Disk Management utility in Windows XP but however the result was that the formatting wasn't done completely. So, now I lost all the data and Windows won't even recognize it at all. Shows up on My Computer and Disk Management but says the drive doesn't exist when I try to use it. I was hoping that I didn't have to buy a new HD but guess I now have to.

Collapse -
That would be proper until you partition and format.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 9:13 AM PST

If you toss it out, just give it to some technician so it's recycled and put to good use.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.