Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How do you organize your digital picture?

I need to put together an image library that will hold tens of thousands of images.

I will need additional properties for each image -- classifications like people, events, buildings, etc.,

I need a good way to search based on those properties. Does anyone have experience/opinion on extending

and scaling photo album for something like this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you organize your digital picture?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you organize your digital picture?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do you organize your digital picture?

In reply to: How do you organize your digital picture?

Your message doesn't match your Subject question. I'll take it as TWO questions.

1. My personal photos are chronilogical.

2. As to the second item, there are software photo databases that do such. Today, these are quite expensive running in the 10K+ dollar range for the ones that do image processing to add textual items such as "9 people in a park setting" or "14 cars in a parking lot." After the image program runs, then you can search the text database.

Today, most can use a image database and people do the work of filling in descriptions. Such photo software without all the smart image recognition is cheap.

In closing, I will not research this area for you, but will note that such is out there.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: How do you organize your digital picture?

Here is one that costs money http://www.accessoryware.com/PictFile.htm.

Try this for free. It's from adobe and on downloads.com as you can see http://www.download.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Album-Starter-Edition/3000-2204-10237327.html?tag=lst-6-1.

Regards,
Ryan Sechrest

[email this member]
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Any technology significantly advanced enough
is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clark
<---------------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -

I've used IrfanView and IMatch for organizing my photos in the past and consider it good, but now I use PicaJet Photo Album and like it better.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: How do you organize your digital picture?

Thank you Jason.
This is a beautiful application. There is little to no learning curve required to organize your photos and images. I especially like the way you can create categories with drag-drop capability. I believe this makes it stand out above most of the others out there.

Collapse -
thumbs plus

i use thumbs plus. you can create folders OR you can assign keywords or both. keywords allows for better searches, ie,,,,buildings, people, animals, still lifes, 2003, 2004, small, medium,,,,,anything keyword you like. you just add any of your predetermined keyword/words to an image. thus, you can pull all images from 2001 that are of people, b/w, whatever you like, whatever your keywords may be.

you can drag/drop images from your main image folder(where you keep all your images) into one or more folders. say, for instance, if you have an image that is both people and night scenes, you can drag and drop to a people folder and a night scene folder.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.