Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?

by ecb_2000 / February 9, 2004 4:38 PM PST

Hi:
I just installed a second hard drive and partitioned it into two parts. I now have hard drives C,D,E on my computer. My original drive C has Windows 98 loaded as the operating system.

I would like to keep my Windows on C drive and then install Windows 98 on my D drive. After that I would like to install Red Hat on my E drive. My problem is that the Windows 98 setup doesn't give me a choice of drives where I can install it to "D". I tried several ways and could not come up with a way to install Windows onto my new drive.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed Braubitz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
by JenDScot / February 9, 2004 9:11 PM PST

You may need to load Linux first to gain the additional boot loader (LILO) which provides additional multibooting options, or purchase Partition/Boot Magic (third party boot loader). I own both Linux Red Hat 7.1 (deluxe edition boxed set)and Partition/ Boot Magic 8 (licensed version), and have no difficulty in multibooting operating systems, the only issue it has is when running multiple boot systems with windows operating systems, 2000 and XP will be bootstrapped into a single loader making the dual boot of either of those systems possible with 98 and older windows operating systems boot on their own.

Collapse -
Re:Re:How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
by ecb_2000 / February 11, 2004 3:08 PM PST

Hi:
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't even got to the boot part of my problem. I'm having problems installing Windows 98 on my "D" drive. Its already on my "C' drive. The windows set up doesn't give me a choice on which drive to install. If I can get it on my "D'' drive and also get Red Hat on my "E" drive than my next challenge will be how to boot to different drives.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
by ecb_2000 / February 13, 2004 5:16 PM PST

Hi,Thanks for the reply.

I want to put Windows on part of my new drive because I think I'm going to lose my original drive soon. If I could install Windows 98 on "D" and in turn boot to that drive I would use "C" as a backup and use it as something to boot to if anything happened to "D".

With Red Hat it's just something to play around with since I never have used it and it would add to my computer edification.

I can see where if I disconnected my current "C" then my new "D" would become "C" and that would not accomplish what I'm trying to do when I reconnected the old "C".

I appreciate the help.
Ed Braubitz

Collapse -
If you're afraid hard disk will fail ...
by Kees Bakker / February 13, 2004 5:30 PM PST

better copy all of c: to d:, and throw away c:.

To do that:
- boot into DOS
- format the d:-drive with format d: /s
- copy everything with xcopy c: d: /s /e /h /k
- disconnect c: and make the new disk the primary disk
- boot from it and see if everything works

No need to install Windows if you can copy it.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
by Cursorcowboy / February 13, 2004 9:37 PM PST

1. Ensure the partitioning of the new drive is comparable with the older drive. Open Explore or My Computer - which ever you're comfortable using, and click on the C:\ drive folder.

2. Right-click somewhere in the right pane and then press Ctrl+A keys combination (highlights everything in this pane).

3. Deselect the Swap file from this selection by holding the Ctrl key while clicking it. If you try the copy process with this file selected, the process will fail.

Note: The Swap file may exist in the Windows folder, the boot root, or simply somewhere else outside the C:\ drive - where it wouldn't matter.

4. While in the right-pane-bolded-area, mouse-click and hold.

5. Travel with the mouse to a location on the new hard drive comparable to that of the old. Release that mouse-click.

6. Select Copy from the resulting menu. You're done - with that one. Any more partitions to do, finish them using the same principal.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:How do you install Windows 98 onto two hard drives?
by ecb_2000 / February 15, 2004 7:12 PM PST

First of all I would like to thank all those that have helped with my problem.

I have a Ultra 100 controller card installed so I didn't have to use a master/slave connection. I had an open spot on the card so I was able to use a Cable Select connection with my new hard drive.

I went to the OSL2000 Boot Manager page ( www.osloader.com ) and I don't know if its worth the price and I'm not sure its going to help. I'm only looking to do this once and as far as I can see they don't offer a trial copy.

I'm not as well versed in this as I would like to be so if anyone has any suggestions, caveats, help or advice concerning Boot Manager or any other program and what I'm trying to do please reply.

As always, I appreciate the help.
Ed Braubitz

Collapse -
(NT)What's the use of having Windows 98 installed on two drives?
by Kees Bakker / February 11, 2004 3:56 PM PST

Collapse -
NT -- Disconnect the current C:\ drive, then have at it.
by Cursorcowboy / February 11, 2004 10:06 PM PST

Collapse -
Yes, but ...
by Kees Bakker / February 12, 2004 4:23 AM PST

that will give an msdos.sys (pointing to the windows-folder) and a registry full with the string "c:". You'd be amazed (well, you personally maybe not, but many will) how many times it occurs.

If you reconnect the old c:, this disk will become d: again. Formally speaking, Windows is installed on it, but practically, I'm quite sure it won't run after you format c:, even if you could boot from it with some boot loader.

And I still wonder, what's the sense of all this?

Kees

Collapse -
I agree w/'u, and ...
by Cursorcowboy / February 12, 2004 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, but ...

since reading his commend above, it would be the only way to get RedHat and Windows onto the newer drive -- then C:\ wouldn't be the C:\ drive any more since the other drive would have become C:\+D:\

Collapse -
Re:I agree w/'u, and ...
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: I agree w/'u, and ...

It is basically the operating system establishing itself in the MBR or boot loader. With two like operating systems, 98 usually likes to take the default or drive C as it's placement for the C:\Windows and system directories, even it is loaded on another drive. The only other option if multiple hard drives are installed is reverse their connections on the ribbon cable, let the BIOS see the changes of reading the hard drives, and fdisk the drive on the Primary Master 0 connection. The other information on the drive should show up in fdisk, which once the new primary master drive partitions are seen, you can also set it as the active partition (only primary master drive can be active as either the master or slave partition on primary 0). You may be able to load 98 twice in this manner (takes quite a bit of work to do so, but should be recognized in two places). The only other problem with two like systems, you will read a single Windows and Windows system directory, or you will have data path collision errors.

Collapse -
Re:Re:I agree w/'u, and ...
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 5:37 AM PST

In supplement to my last post, you can also rename the windows directory using either the .old or using ~1 or anything that does not make a like path to the new the second installation.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:I agree w/'u, and ...
by maxieray / February 15, 2004 2:16 PM PST

Hi
All you have to do is go here.
http://www.osloader.com
Install osl 2000 on the drive that now has 98 on it.
Swap it with the other drive ,install 98 on it.
Install osl 2000 on it and then install the drives in the original places.
It will let you pick which hd to boot from.
I have used it with 98se,win2000 pro,winxp pro,and linux on same pc and is very stable and workes fine.

Maxie

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:I agree w/'u, and ...
by JenDScot / February 16, 2004 11:47 PM PST

Great post, but you should have to have an additional drive swap, if you enter fdisk, and tell it which partition to make active! You can not have two active partitions with like operating systems or the system would lock up as with two like paths (which path is the correct path to take, it shows two identical paths and which one is the correct one to take, hence the lockup). Once you use fdisk and provide which partition is active, the system will default to that partition first, and then you can simply load the other drive as inactive, and load the program you mentioned. You then would not need to additionally swap the connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.