Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you get rid of XP Pro's automatic Autoplay Window?

by ratchaser / April 23, 2004 9:12 AM PDT

Most of the time I insert a CD into the player I am transferring data from one computer to another. Whenever I insert a CD into my player (Doesn't matter the brand, my computer has both a Plextor PX-504A and a NEC NR-9100A), I get the usual DirectCD Window telling me that I did this, but XP insists on bringing in its Autoplay window as well, asking me what to do with the disk. It does not include in this window a check box to take the same action every time it opens a disk. I have gone to properties of the disk, clicked on the Autoplay tab, clicked on the option "Select an option to perform", which removes the green dot from the "Prompt me each time to choose an action". I then selected "Take no action" and clicked on the Apply button, then the OK button, which closes the window. XP still insists on asking me each time I put the same CD into the drive, completely ignoring my previous request and the properties that I had thought I had applied to the disk. If I open the properties on the same disk again, I find the default condition has returned, and that I have to go through all of the same steps I took before, again to no avail. It has no memory. Of course if it is a music disk and I tell it that it is and to play music on it when the CD is inserted, it remembers this. I feel I am dealing with an Alzheimer's patient.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you get rid of XP Pro's automatic Autoplay Window?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you get rid of XP Pro's automatic Autoplay Window?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do you get rid of XP Pro's automatic Autoplay Window?
by glb613 / April 23, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

Did you select apply when you finished making your changes?

Collapse -
Re:How do you get rid of XP Pro's automatic Autoplay Window?
by David Chan / April 23, 2004 10:19 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.