Mac OS forum

Question

How do you get rid of Community Toolbar by Conduit on a Mac

by lilkid1100 / February 5, 2014 1:59 AM PST

I have a 2008 Mac Pro running OSX 10.8 and I use Firefox browser. I have searched for CTloader and all other file names I have seen including on CNET and have not found them. The search still shows up even after rebooting. This search does not show up in Safari. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you get rid of Community Toolbar by Conduit on a Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you get rid of Community Toolbar by Conduit on a Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try the usual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 2:05 AM PST

"For advanced computer users we advise to type into Firefox url field: about:config. Browser will warn you that you should know what you are doing. After type: "conduit" in the search field and "reset" all values you found. That should remove hijacked search results."
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-conduit-redirect-virus.html

Collapse -
by lilkid1100 / February 5, 2014 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try the usual?

I did that but it did not affect behavior. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Then we are left with a Firefox reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Firefox has a reset feature which I used a few days ago. No bookmarks were lost but I did have to add my favorite addons again. Which are:

WEB OF TRUST
Adblock+

WOT may help you avoid this in the future.

Mozilla writes more at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
Bob

PS. Just to be safe. - New!
When you do this, be off line. And see what home page is set after the reset. Persistent malware and hijacks set the home page to reload it's crap.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!