Computer Help forum

Question

How do you get files from a video camera SD card to DVD?

by dstargel / September 21, 2012 3:10 AM PDT

I am trying to send home movies to a friend. They were recorded onto an SD card on another friend's camera. They are in an MTS file that I know have on my computer but when I try to burn them using windows explorer, it "burns" for 30 minutes and then says files not recognized and the disk is blank when I try to read it. What am i doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you get files from a video camera SD card to DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you get files from a video camera SD card to DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Set your goals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 3:14 AM PDT

If they have a PC, send those files and suggest they play them with VLC PLAYER.

If you want to try your hand at creating a VIDEO DVD then you know you need more software. I use DVD FLICK.

If you are having trouble burning files to DVD, I suggest you use http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home since it has tutorials and more.
Bob

Collapse -
VLC player
by dstargel / September 21, 2012 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Set your goals.

Just looking for the easiest way to transport very large files to someone else. For clarification, the f iles are almost 16GB. I've tried to upload them but it seems to take forever. I thought the easiest thing to do would be to put them on a disk and send them via mail. But would love to send them or post them online... is there a way to do it that doesn't take 8 hours?

Collapse -
At 16GB these are bigger than a DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: VLC player

We could do the math to see how long it will take to upload but it sounds like these are high definition works so for now, for today these very large files will have to be sent via mail or you can entertain hosting them on a PC such as http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

This way you never have to deal with uploading said files. They get the files they want when they feel like it.

BTW, there is that old question so let's share it.

"What's the fastest way to move GB's of files overnight?

-> Fedex."

Bob

Collapse -
Re: large files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 6:46 AM PDT

What is the advertised and what is the effective upload speed of your Internet connection? You'll find many speed tests that tell you the effective upload speed (try two at least). Then you can calculate how much time sending 16 GByte (that 128 Gbit) will take.
To have it done faster, find a faster connection (and pay more for it), if possible.

You can only put 16 GB on "a disk" if it's a BlueRay disk. And that only makes sense if the receiver has a BR-reader on his PC. Using a normal DVD, it takes 4 disks at least and only works if the largest file fits on one DVD (4,7 GB).

Kees

Collapse -
DVD software?
by dstargel / September 21, 2012 8:58 AM PDT

Thank you. It sounds like the best thing to do is to put them on disk and mail them. I have a dual layer dvd burner and was trying to put the files on two separate disks. You mentioned DVD Flick - is that full use freeware? Is there another program that would help with editing as well?

Collapse -
About DVD Flick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD software?

It's the first hit on google and there are tutorials there so I stop writing here.

I forgot to mention HANDBRAKE which might be useful to encode these to something smaller.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1412182?start=15&tstart=0 notes this has been doing this since 2009 and yes, there is HANDBRAKE for Windows.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.