General discussion

How do you disable auto run for USB flash drives in Vista?

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, Vista SP2

How can I set my system so that when I insert a flash drive/stick, the autorun will NOT be enabled?

I really do not want to manually mess with the registry. Is there some type of check box that can be checked or unchecked?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do you disable auto run for USB flash drives in Vista?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do you disable auto run for USB flash drives in Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you ask a search engine?
- Collapse -
Saw that too

But I have read elsewhere that such action will not really stop auto run

But other things I read say that you need to change registry things and all. I really don't want to manually mess with the registry

- Collapse -
Chicken little?

Sorry but there are many things you could reply to like that.

You have a choice now.
Bob

- Collapse -
Not sure what you are meaning?

I just want to stop a flash drive from automatically running when inserted into the PC

- Collapse -
I mean

You can go ahead and disable the autorun as noted.

It will not stop AIN or Auto Insert Notification but then why would we want to stop that?

What I mean is occasionally you encounter folk that you turn this or that on or off and they counter with that may not work. For them you have to let them figure it out. It may be a waste of time to do much else.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info