How To forum

How do you create an "undeleteable" file?

by Draconas13 / March 10, 2012 9:13 AM PST

Hello CNET Community,
Recently I had installed a folder security item called TrueCrypt. Basically what it does is it creates a encrypted hidden volume with a password link to a file you create. Problem: Anyone who logs on to your Windows account can delete it password or no password. What I want to know is how do I make the file "undeleteable" so that anyone can't just go and delete it. I don't want to restrict permissons on the file or make it hidden. I was thinking I could somehow put it into constant use so the windows error shows up saying the file is in use and can't be deleted.What I don't want is a hidden or restricted permissions file. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you create an "undeleteable" file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you create an "undeleteable" file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
No such thing that I know of
by Steven Haninger / March 10, 2012 8:00 PM PST

Anyone can easily just erase you entire hard drive. Adding a BIOS password won't thwart the persistent. You can burn files to non re-recordable CD/DVDs but that won't help if the disk is destroyed. You can make it difficult to do but not impossible.

Collapse -
Short of that....
by Draconas13 / March 11, 2012 9:00 AM PDT

Simply put I just want something that someone just trying to delete that one file in particular can't delete it. I don't know anyone that would wipe my hard drive so booting Linux or wiping the hard drive are stuff I don't expect to happen. I've already got a copy of the file on my usb but... I'm kind of forgetful and i do lose my usb every once in a while. XD.... Anyway what can I do to stop a person who can find the file and has access to youtube? I stated before if I can make the file somehow put into constant use goal accomplished. Anyway of going about this path?

Collapse -
Tough one, even if in constant use
by Steven Haninger / March 11, 2012 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Short of that....

I can think of one arcane method I used long ago to refresh a file that was changing with each use of a program. I didn't want the change to happen. What I did was make of copy of that file in its original state when installed, rename it and store it elsewhere on the hard drive. I wrote a batch file that, when I launched the program, would reverse the steps and copy it back to overwrite the changed file. Now this was with MS DOS so I didn't need to deal with permissions or AV programs that monitored for changes to files so I can't give you any steps to do this...but it did do what I wanted it to.

Collapse -
But you can ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 12:40 AM PST

store a copy (on USB-stick or CD-ROM) on a safe place. Then if it's deleted, you still have the copy.

Collapse -
My old IT staff were upset the day I booted Linux
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 4:44 AM PDT

And showed them how all their hard work on permissions on the local hard drives and more were ignored.

So with that out of the way, did you need to know why this is?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?