HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do you copy music?

by nzminnie / December 17, 2004 7:51 AM PST

My son wants to copy some music from a CD I have to a new one, can someone tell me how to go about this from beginning to end. We have windows xp with a DVD r/rw, I'm not sure what kind of software you need or if you need any at all and what type of CD do we need to copy onto?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you copy music?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you copy music?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nzminnie, Lots Of Software Will Do It........
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: How do you copy music?

...including Roxio and Nero, (XP also has burning software of it's own, but I don't prefer it) but since you mentioned that you want to copy music directly from a CD and IF this is a commercial music CD, then it appears like copyright laws may be violated. The software manuals should give specific instructions on how to do what you are asking...Since the forum policies prevent us from violating any laws, we should leave it at that.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ripping
by steve66 / December 18, 2004 12:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Audio CD "Duplication", presumably...
by rageinmachine / December 18, 2004 1:47 PM PST

While mp3-ripper might be a fine product, it sounds to me like you want to copy (i.e. duplicate) an Audio CD. From what I read on mp3-ripper's site (though I admit I only scanned it briefly), duplicating an audio CD isn't its primary function.
As Grif Thomas stated, Roxio and Nero are the top-rated commercial offerings and both of them will create exact copies. Both are excellent (most of my non-technical customers seem to prefer Roxio for ease of use, but Nero has made such great strides in that area it's hard to differentiate). Both are also expensive-ish...around $70 or so (but you can find some pretty good deals online if you look hard enough). For free CD burning\copying software, you could try this:

http://www.download.com/BinArtisan-CD-Burner/3000-2646_4-10343654.html?tag=lst-0-3

or peruse CNet's own downloads.com area:

http://www.download.com/3150-2646_4-0-1-0.html?qt=&author=&titlename=&desc=&dlcount=&daysback=&swlink=&gfiletype=&os=&li=49&dlsize=&ca=

(filter the search by "Free" at the bottom of the list page, to see only freeware offerings)

Rageinmachine

Collapse -
You can use the Windows Media Player
by trytohelp / December 18, 2004 2:05 PM PST

You can copy music to your hard drive as a Window Media Audio (.wma) file. Then copy it back to cd, it will convert it to compact disk audio (.cda) format automatically. No need to have extra software if you don't already have it.

Collapse -
software
by glb613 / December 18, 2004 8:16 PM PST

You should have software on your computer for burning CDs. I've never known a computer to come with a CD or DVD burner and no software to run it. Do you know which one is installed?

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies
by nzminnie / December 19, 2004 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: software

Thank you everyone for replying. I and my son are both very much beginners in computing (though we're lerning pretty fast!) I'm not sure where I go to find out what software my computer has - could you please let me know the easiest way! The CD he wants to copy is one that a friend of his gave him. As it has already been copied I am presuming the music has been downloade off the net and not copied from a copyright CD.

Collapse -
copy CD
by glb613 / December 19, 2004 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the replies

"As it has already been copied I am presuming the music has been downloade off the net and not copied from a copyright CD."

Chances are, the downloaded music is pirated.

To find the software program, go to start then all programs. You need to look at the list. If you don't know what each program is, open it and see what it does. Another option, write down the name, go to Google and do a search.

There are situations where a computer company installs a trial version of a software program that expires. If that is the case with your computer, then you may need to purchase a CD burning program. There are many to choose from. I use Roxio and haven't had any problems. There are also some free for the download. I have no experience with them and can't comment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.