PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How do you clean a plasma screen?

by Adi / March 28, 2004 12:39 AM PST

How can I clean my plasma screen effectively without damaging it or my laptop? Preferably without having to buy anything special.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you clean a plasma screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you clean a plasma screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do you clean a plasma screen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2004 1:05 AM PST

Since I value my laptop screen, I purchased a few laptop screen wipes. They have an antistatic feature so less dust builds up. Well worth the 2 or 3 bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:How do you clean a plasma screen?
by Adi / March 28, 2004 1:24 AM PST

Sound perfect, thanks for the info.

Adi

Collapse -
by JMarchi / March 28, 2004 9:44 AM PST

I have never seen or heard of a Plasma screen on a laptop, they normally use TFT or some equivalent. I find that a soft damp cloth works just as well as anything else to clean one. Never seen a static problem.

Collapse -
Re: Static. You need a cat or dog....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2004 10:35 AM PST

The screen surface and LCDs don't have such a big charge as CRT, but the laptop screen wipes are cheap and effective to keep "fluffy" from the screen surface...

Bob

Collapse -
by Adi / March 30, 2004 12:31 AM PST

Sorry, you're right it is a TFT, I just always think they're plasma because of the ripple effect when you touch them. The soft damp cloth worked like a dream, thanks. And free as well Wink I do have a cat Bob, but I don't usually have much trouble with static, only paws pressing random keys on my keyboard when I'm not watching.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Adi

Collapse -
by jabarnut / April 4, 2004 2:28 PM PDT

Hope you don't mind a little more info on the subject...a few days late perhaps.
I think "Klear Screen" is the absolute best stuff on the market...Not just for laptop Screens but CRT's too!
Recommended by TechTV and a whole lot of other "Geeks". Happy
The stuff is amazing...smooth, non damaging, "polished like" finish.
Some "wipes", (in particular Alcohol based) can be DAMAGING!
http://www.klearscreen.com/

And some very interesting FAQ's concerning the effects of using the wrong stuff...
http://www.klearscreen.com/faq.html#Anchor

Collapse -
by cokeman51 / April 11, 2004 1:01 PM PDT

Although there are many ways to clean sensitive plastics the new and best way is to use tepid water and Ultramicrofibre towels. They use no chemicals and remove all soils from the surface without abrasion. They can be found using a search such as Ultra-microfibre or Microfibre towel. They range in prices from $2.95 to $8.00 each. In cleaning them use hot water and wring out tightly. To remove tough soils put them in your washing machine "alone" and use a drop or two of Dawn or similiar with Hot water and Hot water rinse. Don't dry them in the dryer! They can be used in all types of cleaning while your cleaning your screen. Though I sell them they can be found anywhere on the net and in cleaning supply stores.

Collapse -
by Linux Taylor / April 12, 2004 11:02 AM PDT

I use the Office Depot Screen Cleaner, but there are many others like this on the market.

They clean your screen and surely make a good job! My screen is still clean after 10 days I used it on my notebook!

See ya!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:How do you clean a plasma screen?
by TomahawkZA / April 12, 2004 11:30 PM PDT

This may sound highly irregular, but I use nappy liners in conjunction with diluted (one in ten) methylated spirits, and then use a chamois lens cloth to remove any fluff and clear any smudge marks.

Of course, one could always just buy a new laptop when the old one gets dirty which will also ensure your equipment is up to date and not getting obsolete Wink

Collapse -
by geoffo / April 11, 2004 9:49 PM PDT

You must use a manufacturer approved and tested product
to avoid damage.
Read about Techniclean at WWW.techniclean.tv the worldwide best seller sutable for all screens including plasma.
Independant test results
TechniClean: 3 Stars

This other type of Computer Screen Cleaning Product, requires No Specific Cleaning Cloth. You only need to Spray the Foaming Cleaner onto the Screen, and then use Any Soft, Clean Cloth to Wipe the Surface Clean.

Also, if you wish to Maintain a Clean Screen, then use TechniClean Regularly. The Result will be, that after each time you Apply & Wipe the Screen Clean, you will Leave behind a Protective Coating.

TechniClean lasts about 3 Weeks ? before a New Application is Required

Additional TechniClean Information ( Not Part of the Comparison - Translation )
TechniClean is also:
Specially formulated for today?s TFT LCD and Plasma Displays. As well, TechniClean is a better Glass Cleaner than others, according to Shuster?s Lab Report.
Anti-Static, Anti-Smudge, Anti-Fingerprint, Leaves Behind a Unique Special Protective Coating, that Prolongs the Life of the Equipment, Requires No Special Cloths. It Contains No CFCs, is Non-Flammable, Non-Toxic & Non-Corrosive.

TechniClean Can Be Used on ALL Types of Glass & Plastic Screens or Surfaces

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by pfeffer3 / April 11, 2004 10:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
What? No Humor
by pfeffer3 / April 12, 2004 11:26 PM PDT

Surely, anyone could have seen that. Only a total idiot would have done it.

Use steelwool and press hard.

Really

Collapse -
Re:What? No Humor
by TomahawkZA / April 12, 2004 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: What? No Humor

OK ... it would be clean, but a wire brush would be quicker, and oven cleaner would give it a better shine Wink

Obviously this cleaning process assumes that you want to clean the screen ... not use the screen again ;p

Collapse -
TomahawkZA, Thank You For Supporting Smiles
by pfeffer3 / April 13, 2004 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:What? No Humor

I liked your idea better than mine.

Collapse -
About Humour
by jimoeri / November 24, 2008 3:29 AM PST

You people with the fantastic IQs really have to know not everyone is equipped with you know how.
Like developed mental people and others.. you promote a disaster and you will more than likely cause a disaster.
If your anything like those spectators that promoted that kid in chat online to kill himself, then your are a cold-hearted embarrassment to the Internet community. P.E.R.I.O.D.
Wake Up!! there really are people, kids, who would this, & you'll laugh.. of-course..

Collapse -
by TomahawkZA / April 12, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

Make a one in ten dilution using one part methylated spirits and nine parts water. Use a soft cloth dampened with the solution (important, damp ... not dripping wet). I use nappy liners because they are cheap, soft and absorbant. Afterwards I give a soft rub using a Chamois lens cloth to remove any lint, fluff or streaking and smudges. The lens cloth is cheap and available from most opticician's or good camera shops.

A damp sponge also does the trick, but you could end up dripping water into the keyboard if you don't wring out the excess water properly ... so I find my solution above a better bet.

Collapse -
by cmccarle2000 / April 14, 2004 1:06 PM PDT

Ok, I was wondering about this. I just got a desktop PC with a TFT monitor and I just dusted it and the screen bleeds or something, is this normal and ok?

Thanks

Collapse -
by jvgreen / April 14, 2004 6:18 AM PDT

I have always liked the blue window cleaner spray. Do not spray directly on the screen, but rather on a soft clean cotton cloth, e.g., a not entirely new t-shirt or dish towel. Spraying directly on the screen may (1) be too strong a solution and (2) short out the connectors on the sides of the screen; don't so that.
In extreme circumstances (long flight or distant land) a little vodka on a cloth will do the trick. It takes something a little stronger that water to remove oily fingerprints and smudges, and soaps leave a film.

Collapse -
Please Read!
by pvdfan / February 5, 2007 6:57 PM PST

Use a damp cloth to clean the finger prints then use a softer cloth the dry those areas you cleaned. Use a microfiber cloth afterwards to go over the whole tv. I just did it and that is why I'm posting this.

Collapse -
Well, I don't know about safety
by william551 / February 7, 2007 3:38 AM PST

but you can't use glass cleaner on a plasma screen. It smears. You have to use water.

Collapse -
Plasma Screen
by sannit4 / June 14, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

How do I clean my plasma screen?

Collapse -
PLASMA SCREEN CLEANING
by beaton1053 / March 7, 2008 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Plasma Screen

I have a 50" plasma and 37" LCD and the best thing to clean with is Microfiber Suede, soft and gentle. You can buy some expensive versions, but I found a cheap source at www.eriecotton.com. Large 16" towel for about $4.00 a towel.

This product is a great polishing cloth, and I use it on my glasses too.

For plasma and Lcd cleaning I use it dry to dust and for smudges etc
slightly damp and gentle wiping.

Collapse -
Tiny bit of mild detergent
by grunlowen / December 18, 2010 6:35 AM PST

My Panasonic manual says to use diluted detergent if it is really dirty. After spilling beer on my TV screen, here is how I got it perfectly clean. I took a new microfiber cloth, put a single drop of dish detergent on it, and then wrung it out in warm water. I GENTLY went over the entire screen in a circular manner. I then took a dry microfiber (actually kept 1/2 of the same cloth dry) and GENTLY wiped off the screen. My last pass was a with a gently buffing motion.

Looks like new and I didn't have to buy any special cleaners.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!