Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you block internet access on a limited account?

Hi

Could someone teach me how to block the internet access on a limited account? I mean, I don't want that account to have access at all.

I'm using XP Pro.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you block internet access on a limited account?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you block internet access on a limited account?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cheap fast trick.

In reply to: How do you block internet access on a limited account?

Look at the NTFS permissions of IEXPLORE.EXE and the web browser you really should use (it's .EXE). Now add only your account as having access. Bam. No web browser in the other accounts.

Bob

Collapse -
R.e. Cheap fast trick

In reply to: Cheap fast trick.

Could you teach me how to access the NTFS permissions of IEXPLORE.EXE?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Example screens that you'll use.

In reply to: R.e. Cheap fast trick

Collapse -
Need futher help

In reply to: Example screens that you'll use.

When i click on the internet explorer exe. properties, there isn't an option for security.

Is there a possibility that NTFS is not on my computer?

Collapse -
(NT) Hint: Turn off simple file sharing.

In reply to: Need futher help

Collapse -
Thanks very much

In reply to: Hint: Turn off simple file sharing.

It works beautifully, thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Before you get too excited

In reply to: Thanks very much

You should know that this is a very easy method to bypass. If someone knows how to use the command line FTP program supplied with XP, they could easily download Mozilla Firefox and use that in place of IE. Or if they have a USB flash drive with Portable Firefox, that just makes it all the easier.

It really only works if the only way people know how to get on the Internet is using Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Thanks for the tips ;)

In reply to: Before you get too excited

Well thanks for all the warnings, I think this will suffice for now, because those who I am blocking from using the internet without permission know far less about computers than I do, so i think this will stop them for at least a few years. Happy best regards to all!

Collapse -
I think

And I stress that I THINK the group policy editor can do this. You can poke around yourself and find out for sure. The program to run is gpedit.msc.

If that doesn't work, you're likely looking at either expensive software that could potentially be bypassed, removing all the icons most people rely on to be able to run a web browser or anything else, or giving up on the idea entirely.

Collapse -
Try Parental Control - It's free and delivers what you want.

Forget the IE7 and try Parental Control for any kind or www access, including Messenger.

Its free and available here:
http://www.crawlerparental.com/

I use it on my self and on my kids to restrict the time spent on the internet. If you want no access at all for an account, set the time limit to 00 (zero).

Regards.

Collapse -
So what happens...

What happens when one of your kids figures out a way to disable that program?

Software is not a replacement for active parenting, and IMO, anyone who thinks otherwise is unfit to be a parent, and their kids should be placed in foster care. I do so get tired of people who attempt to shirk their duties as parents by using garbage like this... But if I say any more, it'll turn into a long rant that's bound to offend someone's delicate sensibilities... Deservedly so, given that only the people who would do such a thing would be offended at having their poor judgment called into question. However, I'm going to rise above all that this time, and resist the temptation.

Collapse -
I'm not offended ...

In reply to: So what happens...

In fact, the "children" know the program exists in the computer they share, which was open and set up with them. They know they have each a daily 3 hours "credit" to surf in the web and 4 hours to use the computer. They know I'm not using the keylogging nor the screen snapshot features of the software. And they know that during the working days internet use stops and 23:00 in the evening. And they learn how to share the allocated computer time on the same computer. They also know they can't disable the programm because they don't have the needed administator's rights. And they know I allow them to see the using report any time they want. See? It's simple.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!