Phones forum

General discussion

HOW do you activate an unlocked phone??

by PaulHart2 / September 7, 2006 7:59 AM PDT

Hello.
I'd really like to purchase a Sony Ericsson k800i camera phone because of the great 3.2 megapixel camera it has.
However, no U.S. carrier carries the phone.
I'd have to buy it on eBay as "unlocked".
I currently have a cellphone with Verizon Wireless, but they say they can't support the k800i.
I hear T-Mobile can.
I've never had an UNLOCKED phone before.
How would I activate it with T-Mobile?
And is it true I can just buy a T-Mobile sim card with PREPAID minutes and use the k800i that way?
Would I be able to have internet access?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW do you activate an unlocked phone??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW do you activate an unlocked phone??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlocked phone
by JFreitag / September 7, 2006 11:41 AM PDT

An unlocked phone is simply one with all features activated and unlimited as to cellular provider. It is, obviously, the most desirable set up. Service providers often customize (limit)a phones features as well as limiting itsuse to their network. This is done to insure that you purchase a new phone or get into a long term contract every time you either get a new phone or switch providers.

The phone you are considering is a GSM phone. GSM is the prevailing system worldwide except for the US, we have an oddball mixture of analog (going obsolete) CDMA and TDMA and some GSM. T-Mobile has been the major leader in GSM service in the US (it is a division of Deutche Telkom) although Cingular has been getting ito the GSM game. It is probably only a matter of time until the others follow suit, although it is a major investment to change as all the cell tower electronics have to be changed.

You should be good to go with T-Mobile and probably with Cingular, all you need is a activated SIM card. If you travel internationally the big bonus is that the phone will work in most countries of the world just by turning it on. You do, however, have to pay international roaming charges (0.99 in Europe and $1.49 in south America) but anybody can reach you just by calling your US number. I love that feature on my T-Mobile phone.

Collapse -
Thanks J.
by PaulHart2 / September 7, 2006 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Unlocked phone

Thanks JFreitag for all that great info.
I'll probably go with T-Mobile then.
I just hope I can get internet access on the k880i so I can send the great photos I take directly to people's e-mail addresses.
Verizon warned me that I wouldn't have internet access if I don't go with a phone carried by a U.S. carrier.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is correct. You won't have internet access.
by neocon / September 8, 2006 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks J.
Collapse -
Actually... Its Not That True
by terryparker / September 10, 2006 9:48 AM PDT

What neocon said is true if you go to Verizon but not if you go to T-Mobile. To activate it with T-Mobile follow this link http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1_1_1&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10411 and follow instructions. I know it says K790a but its the same handset except it only has 1 camera where as the K800 has 2 cameras, which leads me to advise you to get the K790a and not K800 in the USA as it will be cheaper than the K800, and you anyway can't use it for Video Calling. In the end, K800i is designed for Europe and K790a for the USA otherwise thay are EXACTLY the same. So follow the link and don't worry, all will work!!
Let me know if you need more help and how it goes!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?