Desktops forum

General discussion

How do you access your user profile files....

by seoulsux / February 26, 2007 10:00 PM PST

How do you access your user profile files when you have the HD connected to a laptop via usb hard drive enclosure?

My Desktop died and I've been using my laptop. I have some programs I want to transfer to my laptop, but those programs were kept in my own user profile setting on my desktop. I tried going to my folder(seoulsux) in documents and settings, but I keep getting an access denied msg. I know that my profile was password proctected, so I'm guessing that's why.

I want to know is there a way that I can access that profile, maybe being able to boot from the HD instead of the laptop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you access your user profile files....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you access your user profile files....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: XP TAKE OWNERSHIP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 10:15 PM PST

Try those words on google.com

Collapse -
Thank you very very much
by seoulsux / February 26, 2007 10:56 PM PST

After what seems like years i've finally got those programs I wanted transferred, (some of them are outdated now). Thanks a lot R.Proffitt, dunno what an idiot like me would do :). BTW I read some of those links you gave me about the transfering one HD into another comp. I have a question tho, if I wanted to put in a blank HD and install XP on it, change the boot options to boot from CD, but nothing happens, what does that mean? All I get is a press F1 to enter setup F2 to resume. I pressed F2 after changing it to boot from CD, but only get a blinking underscore. I'm pretty sure that XP can be installed on the comp, (it was running 98 before my first XP was installed on it) Any ideas? Thanks

Collapse -
Tell a tiny bit more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 10:59 PM PST

Not all machines can boot from CD or those that did have aged and need a new CDROM or something else. I can't tell where the issue is from what you've told so far. Another trick I use is to duplicate the XP CD and use the fresh copy.

But then again I have little to work with.

Bob

PS. If I helped, you're welcome.

Collapse -
Lil bit more
by seoulsux / February 27, 2007 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Tell a tiny bit more.

The comp is a HP Pavilion 542X and came preloaded with XP Home Edition (which I don't have any more) I tried to boot it from the cd but nothing happened, so then I tried adding another one of my HD's via usb, and boot from that. That started to boot but got an error msg when windows started. It's the blue screen with error that I normally see when I have an error with one of my disks, but this one went so fast I couldn't see what the error was. I tried starting in all the safe modes, normal mode, and last known config, it just gets to the windows screen then flashes the error really quickly, then restarts. Then I tried putting in the HD I wanted to install XP on inside the Hard drive enclosure, popped in the XP CD. This time it let me install XP to a partition, after it copied all the files, it said windows will restart to continue the installation, then restarted. But the installation never continued. I kept getting a boot from CD msg. If I didn't click it, it would just stay there doing nothing, and I'd have to restart the comp by pressing the power button. If I choose to boot from CD, it shows that XP is already installed on a partition. If I press F3 to quit installation but it says windows XP is not installed. I think a few times it got to the point where it loaded everything, then said loading windows, then I get this error msg saying if I made any hardware/software changes, and it tells me to run CHKDSK /F with this error:

0X0000007B (0XF99A3640,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X0000000), then I have to power off the comp. I put the HD back into the comp and tried booting from that, only the same blinking underscore.

I'm not understanding why it reads the HD in the setup, but won't let me install XP with the HD inside. I also don't see why I can't boot from a removable device or why it keeps restarting when the windows logo pops up.

I thought that If I could get it to boot from the removable device, I could then pop in the XP installation CD, and install it onto the HD, but alas, I can't even get to that point Sad

Hope you can help

Collapse -
Dead end. Windows on USB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Lil bit more

Sorry but Windows doesn't do that as supplied.

I'd try the old copy the XP CD trick then swap in a new CDROM drive. The stop code can be entered at google.com to see how most deal with this.

Bob

Collapse -
CD trick
by seoulsux / February 27, 2007 2:17 AM PST

I'll try the CD trick. I'm guessing you think it's a problem with the CD and not the comp itself. I'm looking at the stop errors, and i'm guessing it has something to do with a hardware change? There's so many things it could be that i'm not sure which one is right, or some I have no idea what they're talking about 0_o. I'll also try removing the hard drive out of the HP and putting it in the enclosure and running a Disk check on it, hopefully that fixes the error. I'll let you know how it goes Wink

Collapse -
Given you have ONE CD...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: CD trick

It can remove that as one source of error. Then again as drives age they fail to boot.

Bob

Collapse -
I don't think its the drive
by seoulsux / February 27, 2007 2:52 AM PST

The comp has a CD and DVD drive and neither of them run the boot cd with the HD inside. I very rarely ever used those drives, so I think they're fine. I've installed XP on much older computer running windows 98, so i'm not getting why i'm having a problem with installing it on my HP that came with XP. It seems kinda backwards

Collapse -
Don't corner yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:56 AM PST

I've seen machines that won't boot from either drive. I guess I'm writing from the perspective of a service shop where people bring me the worst of the lot but don't limit yourself with assumptions.

Also, check those BIOS boot options over and over and over.

Bob

Collapse -
okay
by seoulsux / February 27, 2007 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Don't corner yourself.

After i've done the scandisk,I'll see if I can get it to boot from my notebook. By the way in the BIOS settings, changing the date and time really doesn't do anything does it? And what settings would you suggest I take a look at?

Collapse -
Be careful about date and time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: okay

XP and Vista has some oddities about activation and checking in if the dates are too far out. But so far I don't see that issue here.

If I recall this discussion we have a blown OS that we need to reinstall but can't due to a nonbooting CD.

Bob

Collapse -
got it to work
by seoulsux / February 27, 2007 7:50 AM PST

I got it to work bob. After doing the diskcheck on my laptop and connecting the HD back in only to have it not work in the HP, I decided to do what you say and use check the drives. I changed the DVD drive to master, put in the installation CD and voila, it installed XP problem free. The CD drive works fine, but like you said it doesn't boot as a master drive. I don't understand why, but I'm glad you mentioned that. Many many thanks, you've helped me with not one, but two, month old problems I had Happy

Collapse -
There's a lesson here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 7:56 AM PST

I don't know where but somewhere. Yes, it can be confusing at times but the bottomline is you took input from others, mashed it up and got results.

I think some service counter is missing you.

Bob

PS. Thank you for the report back.

Collapse -
How do I access your my profile files
by victorias958 / April 7, 2007 10:28 PM PDT

Hi Seoulsux. I'm having the same problem. Motherboard died. Running xp pro. I have connected the HD to my new computer (also xp pro) through usb but am unable to access protected files. Have searched the net for an answer. Can you help? Please.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.