General discussion

How do i wipe my used lap top clean???

I recently bought a laptop from someone and it was not cleaned before they sold it to me. It has a bunch of junk on it and runs really slowley. I would like to clean it completely and start from scratch however I do not have the original OS disk or any of the programs originally installed. I'm not sure exactly what I am doing so as detailed an as you can provide would be greatly appreciated Happy. This is a Toshiba Satellite. I'm not sure what other info is needed to give me a straight answer so please let me know what you need. Thank you very much.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do i wipe my used lap top clean???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do i wipe my used lap top clean???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That original disk.

if you don't have the original disk, what will you do if the Operating System fails and you have to reinstall? You need to sort that out with the person you got the laptop off.

Running really slowly can mean many things, so all we can do is supply options;

1] Is the OS infected by viruses or other malware? If so, download, install and scan with reputable anti-virus and anti-malware scanners.

2] Too many services running in the background. This is no easy matter but the Black Viper's guide to Vista Services will help you decide which services this system needs, and which it doesn't.

3] Too many startup applications. If there are too many applications loading at startup this may cause performance problems. To check this system's startup files open the MSCONFIG console;

Start menu > All Programs > Accessories > Run. Type in msconfig and click OK. Goto the Startup tab and check down the list.

4] Dirty laptop? Look at Bob's post in the Laptop Troubleshooting forum about cleaning the laptop, (post 6).

5] Under-powered? Much more difficult to resolve, but increasing the RAM may help. Or it may be that Vista was 'forced' onto this machine when it is not really able to use it.

Some things to get you started.

Mark

- Collapse -
How do i wipe my used lap top clean???

What do you call a bunch of junk, if it old file and stuff which you will not need then try CCLEANER which is free to download from Piniform at http://ccleaner.com When it opens on the download page you will see the version it is the size of down load and under that you will see two downloads, click the one which says Alternative download. ( this is the free version ) You can also try TuneUp Utilities 2010 http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk This is a free 30-days trial version.

- Collapse -
Just a note about Tune Up software

For someone who doesn't know about computers I would not recommend any 'optimisation' or registry cleaning software. They can cause more problems than not in the wrong hands.

Mark

- Collapse -
Optimizing Performance

CNET Forums

Forum Info