PC Applications forum

General discussion

How do I watch dvd's on my desktop pc

I have windows xpsp2 compaqpres sr1520nx w/dcd+-RW/CD-RW. WMP11, winamp. Sonic cineplayer (i just bought). What else do I need. Or am I way off base? I am still pretty much a newbie. Please help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I watch dvd's on my desktop pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I watch dvd's on my desktop pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be enough.

In reply to: How do I watch dvd's on my desktop pc

You didn't tell if it didn't work or if you tried.

I do know of repeat issues with WMP 11. I would have avoided that.

Bob

Collapse -
Should be enough

In reply to: Should be enough.

No, it didn't work. I have tried. I haven't had any problems with WMP11 in the past. You think that is the problem? Because it's really hard to roll back to WMP10. I don't know how or where to get that.

Collapse -
Expand on your "it didn't work."

In reply to: Should be enough

Here it does but that's not applicable to you. As it stands you take it to the repair counter since there is not much to work with yet.

Here's one last item. Does VLCPLAYER play it?

Bob

Collapse -
it didn't work

In reply to: Expand on your "it didn't work."

i don't know what VLCPlayer is. When i put in a movie video, nothing happens at all?? i just don't get it? i belong to CinemaNow and my WMP7 plays movies just fine and i can burn cd's and dvd's but it just won't let me watch a prercorded movie. i'll try again and see if it'll work now by some small coincidence.

Collapse -
A few hints.

In reply to: it didn't work

1. VLCPLAYER is found with google.com I leave items for you to search since these forums are all volunteer efforts. You get to push along and help others help you. This is not like a paid support area.

2. Maybe you revealed a clue here. You may have expected the DVD to "autoplay." Sometimes that fails. Why not slip the DVD disk in, then manual start the DVD player software.

3. Sometimes, not always the AUTOFIX program helps. Again, you find that with google.com so I don't have to supply links.

Bob

Collapse -
a few hints

In reply to: A few hints.

I just got a trial version of InterVideo Home Theater. I think I needed some type of player, I guess?

Collapse -
"Sonic cineplayer" was noted as well as VLCPLAYER.

In reply to: a few hints

I'm unsure where you are going here. You have 2 players and are about to add a third?

Sounds like you can't use the advice so far or something else is amiss.

Bob

Collapse -
sonic cineplayer was noted as well as vlcplayer

In reply to: "Sonic cineplayer" was noted as well as VLCPLAYER.

It's not that I'm not taking the advice. I'm just totally confused with it. Do you need to open these apps and then put the dvd in or does the dvd open the app. when i put the dvd in after getting cineplayer, intervideo came up and said i needed to upgrade. I'll go to google and do whatever was suggested, but i'm a total dummy when it comes to the dvd rom stuff:-(

Collapse -
Here's a link about VLCPLAYER.

In reply to: sonic cineplayer was noted as well as vlcplayer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

Not only is this a nice writeup about this software but more links about it are provided.

-> I see now where you are confused. You wanted the DVD to "just play" when you slip the DVD in. Sadly this is not working for you so it's time to try it manually.

Bob
Collapse -
Here's a link about VLCPLAYER

In reply to: Here's a link about VLCPLAYER.

Hi, it's me again. Well, I went to google, ended up at c-net at VLCPLAYER, also read up on it, downloaded it and up pops my iTunes. So, I looked in my control panel and I don't see it there, it's not in my new programs either. And when I popped in the dvd and that intervideo program comes up I can't even view it on a full screen. I am soooo confused!!! Why didn't VLCPLAYER download, when it goes through the download process? There's no firewall, cookies or pop-up problem.:-(( And, Bob, I really do appreciate all of your time and patience:-)

Collapse -
Time for some help locally.

In reply to: Here's a link about VLCPLAYER

Ask a friend to install VLC Player for you.

Bob

Collapse -
time for some help locally

In reply to: Time for some help locally.

Just when you gave up on me:-( I finally got it downloaded! I downloaded the mirror of it and instead of open i used save to desktop. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm quite sure it's going to work. Thanks again, sorry for being such a pain.

Collapse -
should be enough

In reply to: Should be enough

Hey Bob, I got it! I got it! I'm just starting watching Fantastic Four. Thank you soooo much. You are the man!!!:-))

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.