Windows 7 forum

Question

How do I Wake on LAN (WOL) but via wifi? Is it possible?

by tmills27 / June 24, 2013 7:40 PM PDT

So i have an iphone and i downloaded and app that has a remote keyboard and trackpad and also has the ability to wake on LAN. I do not want to connect my computer via ethernet though is it possible that can Wake on LAN but via wifi with my current setup? I have an Acer Aspire 5552-3691 with and ATHEROS AR5B97 network adapter just fyi. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I Wake on LAN (WOL) but via wifi? Is it possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I Wake on LAN (WOL) but via wifi? Is it possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What happens if you try?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 9:02 PM PDT

Put the laptop to sleep and call it via WiFi, after you have set all BIOS-options the way you think they should be.

Kees

Collapse -
No Luck :-(
by tmills27 / June 24, 2013 10:40 PM PDT

Tried that earlier...no luck. I'm also wondering how ill actually be able to log in as well because the remote keyboard and trackpad won't be active either. So once I get passed turning the pc on, ill hit another hurdle and be stuck at the login.

Collapse -
Re: login
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No Luck :-(

When woken up, the PC should do an autologon, then - in the startup commands of that user - start whatever it's supposed to do when being woken up. Since there is nobody around to type or touch anything on the local keyboard, it all has to be automatic.

Kees

Collapse -
re: re: login
by tmills27 / June 25, 2013 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: login

is it possible to remotely login to a computer with multiple users? i have 3 accounts on my computer and mine is password protected is there anyway i can get around this? can i set up some sort of default account? because they wont be using it remotely.

Collapse -
You may have to tell what app this is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: re: re: login

But all the ones I use such as VNC, Logmein and such have no such issue. Are you guessing what will happen or did you actually see the issue?
Bob

Collapse -
What I'm using...
by tmills27 / June 25, 2013 4:37 AM PDT

I'm using an app called "Remote-X". Basically now I've given up on finding a way to wake on LAN without an Ethernet cord and just plugged one in. So now that I'm able to wake on LAN, the app doesn't connect to my computer directly after boot, I get stuck at the log in screen. Maybe I'm just doing this the hard way but the way I've got my set up is: I've got my LAN connected to my Laptop (to boot it) then I've got my computer connected to my TV (to use as a monitor). I really just want to use my phone to boot my laptop, as well as use it as a trackpad and keyboard. It will boot, but I have to log in via the laptop on my username to get the app's software to link because the iPhones keyboard and trackpad aren't connected yet.

Collapse -
So it's not working at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: What I'm using...

It's possible you have more work to get done. Many routers have firewalls and if over WiFi you see it differ from the wired connection. I've noted this in the CNET Networking forum stickies so for now I'd re-examine the firewalls in all things.
Bob

Collapse -
Nope still not working.
by tmills27 / June 25, 2013 9:22 AM PDT

I don't know how to actually enable things through the fire wall. I found the program for the app under windows firewall, now what do I do?

Collapse -
I noted that the router can have such too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 10:44 AM PDT

It's a lot to absorb so give it time.

Collapse -
Sorry I'm a newbie to the forum..
by tmills27 / June 25, 2013 12:39 PM PDT

I can't seem to locate what notes you were referring to. Perhaps you can you provide the link? Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Collapse -
Here's a recent one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 2:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
I've done some searching and here's what ive got...
by tmills27 / June 25, 2013 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's a recent one.

I havent tried it yet but maybe i can just create a new task in the task scheduler to run the program before i log in...problem is i cant quite find the exe that runs the "Remote-X" desktop program from the program files im not sure if i should just run the whole program folder as an action.

Secondly, ive noticed that i have to manually turn on the computer every other time i wake because the settings to wake on LAN keep getting disabled after i turn off the computer like this.

http://s9.postimg.org/yw45cj2nj/explain.jpg

In order to enable WOL i have to check "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then it enables the other two settings so i check the boxes.

http://s21.postimg.org/evjscjf6v/explain2.jpg

And uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" again so that the network adapter stays on to wake it back up. Why isnt it just staying on? geez this process is so tedious.

Collapse -
Sorry but the forum bottomed out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's a recent one.

I can't guess if that's the name of the remote app but it seems odd to leave that detail out if you need help with the app till now.

Hopefully the app's support will answer if you need to do that.

Here I have used other titles but I do understand how folk want to stick to what they choose.
Bob

Collapse -
this is how you do it
by RogueFighter / April 18, 2016 6:47 PM PDT
In reply to: What I'm using...

you have to send it a "magic packet sender" in order to wake it up try that, i know what im talking about im A+ certified and got high score on exam recently

Collapse -
No!!!
by RogueFighter / April 18, 2016 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: login

No its not automatic logins or anything its a remote connection so your keybord on your phone or keyboard or whatever, will work remotely

Collapse -
it is not possible to wake on lan via WiFi
by RogueFighter / April 18, 2016 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: No Luck :-(

ok for 1 wake on LAN means exactly that if you know what your talking about, LAN standing for Locol Area Network wich is a wired connection so it has to be connected with a ethernet cable to work so no it can not be woke up vie WiFi

Collapse -
Answer
Requires one more device.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 12:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
After all this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 4:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
I somewhat came up with a solution.
by tmills27 / June 27, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: After all this.

I went through the registry key and added a string for an auto admin log in. Of course security is decreased dramatically but then again, why do i need to put the password in to access my own computer in my home. So now it just skips the log in screen completely when starting up from a wake, and logs into my account instantly which in turn runs the apps server exe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.