General discussion

How do I view CD slideshows on my TV?

I have scanned slides to my computer, created slide shows, then burned the slideshows to CD-Rs. I would like to view these slideshows on my TV by playing the CDs on the DVD player. My current DVD player will not accept formats other than the usual video DVDs and music CDs. Is there a type of DVD player that can play the CDs I created on my computer (Win XP Pro, Sonic RecordNow)? What would I look for in the specs for the player? How could I tell if the DVD player can handle my CDs?
(Physical and necessary separation of the TV and computer prevents a direct connection between the two.)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do I view CD slideshows on my TV?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I view CD slideshows on my TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
VCD

Make sure you buy a player that supports VCD. All worthwhile players show what they support; just make sure it supports VCD and all the others you want to use it for.

Now, if it says it will play VCD, that means only VCDs that meet the standards. For example, no player will play a video CD made with Windows Movie Maker.

As long as your software creates a standard VCD and the player supports it, you should be able to watch it on your TV.

Incidentally, photo CDs are again different. If I were to buy a new DVD player, I'd make sure it also played DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, VCD and photo CDs. That will just about cover any visual media that you may make yourself or receive from others.

- Collapse -
Check out this webpage
- Collapse -
dvd player that will play all formats
- Collapse -
Tazio..
- Collapse -
Correction...

I might have stated wrong about my Cyberhome DVD player. On the original posts I was stating the standard formats,eg.VCD DVD-+R/RW Video & Audio. I think it will play MP3's and do not know about VCD's made with Windows Movie Maker as I do not have those two formats to try, but hope to have some soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
RJ

- Collapse -
slide shows and vcd

If you are particular about your pictures, you will not be pleased with the results you will get with VCD rendering of your slide shows. That is mpeg1 resolution which is inferior, especially on large screen TV's. (resolution is only 352x240 pixels). If you want true DVD quality pictures you need mpeg2 files, and rendering at the DVD specifications. An alternative to making the slide shows in the computer and exporting as VCD files, is to simply copy your jpeg pictures files over to CD as data files. Most modern DVD players now recognize and show jpeg files directly, and present them in slide show fashion. No music in the background, no fancy transitions, but excellent resolution. I make my slide shows in Showbiz 2 and that renders them into dvd complaint mpeg2 files which play on the DVD player with excellent resolution and sound. The downside is that it takes a lot longer to render the DVD.

CNET Forums

Forum Info