Computer Help forum

Question

How do I use my SSD and HDD at the same time?

by zrally38 / October 12, 2011 4:48 AM PDT

I have my OS on an SSD and the rest of my "stuff" on my HDD. I can boot just fine off of my SSD but also want to use the "stuff" (MS Office, iTunes...etc) on my HDD.
How do I do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I use my SSD and HDD at the same time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I use my SSD and HDD at the same time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I wish
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

you had said this in your other post here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-544206.html?messageId=5216080#message5216080

So, you don't want to dual boot? I have locked the other thread then.

Stuff. Do you mean install software or just your personal files, like music, videos, photos, etc?

If you mean software, then see if it will install onto the HDD. Some software insists on installing on the root drive.

If you mean your personal data, just move it across.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by VitruvianDude / October 12, 2011 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I wish

For instance, I have my iTunes shortcut on my HDD but I am booting from my SSD. I would like to be able to somehow click on the shortcut and have iTunes open while using my SSD as primary and HDD as secondary. I hope I am using the correct wording.

<div>To some it up, I would like to use all of the shortcuts on my HDD after I have booted from my SSD. If that makes any sense what so ever.
</div>

Collapse -
I have to say
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Mark

Sorry but I am not at all sure what you mean.

If iTunes is installed on this computer, do you know where it is installed? An iTunes shortcut isn't the software itself, it is just a shortcut that points to the software in the folder where it is installed. So where the shortcut is should not make any difference.

In any case, all my program shortcuts are on my Desktop, or in my Start Menu > All programs listing.

Let's be clear. When you install software it will be installed on a hard drive. Whether that hard drive is an SSD or whether it is the older spinning HDD is not relevant. If a system has two hard drives installed and connected inside the case, then it may be possible to install software on either hard drive. It may not be possible. Some software, (I can think of Adobe software and possibly Microsoft Office, but I might be in error there), will insist that their software is installed on the C Drive.

The C Drive is where the operating system is installed, in your case this is the SSD.

So, some software can be installed on a different drive. Some cannot. The installation process will often offer you the chance to change the 'default' installation location. If it does then you can try and install the software on the other drive. But it might fail, or you may not even get that option.

Shortcuts to these application will often be made, but those shortcuts are placed either on the Desktop or in the Start Menu, or even both.

That is software. But personal data, like music, documents, photos, videos, etc, they can be stored wherever you like, on either drive.

Mark

Collapse -
Sorry
by VitruvianDude / October 13, 2011 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to say

Sorry for the confusing wording. Thanks very much for your help Mark.

Collapse -
Answer
Was your "stuff" ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 13, 2011 3:16 PM PDT

already installed on the Hard drive BEFORE adding the SSD drive or did you install it AFTER installing the SSD drive and operating system?

If it was installed BEFORE the SSD drive then you will need to re-install the applications to use them with the OS you have installed on the SSD drive. If you installed them after installing the SSD drive and OS then you should be able to use the applications simply by clicking or double clicking the application icon.

Without you giving us some DETAILS we are left guessing as to what you did and what the problem and solution might then be.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?