HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How do I use a External Hard Drive Case to retrive files

by jphernan / September 5, 2008 6:00 PM PDT

I have a laptop Dell Latitude D600 and either my hard drive is bad or it has a virus and I need to fix that. I was told that I could use a External Hard Drive Case to retrive files from that hard drive and could have the hard drive repaired or replaced.

I went and bought a Speed Metal external hard drive case because it was $15. It had no intructions only a mini disk which the sales people told me I would not need because it was not software. I learned how to connect the hard dirve to it, althought the aluminum case does not fit over the hard drive. But it connected. I tried to use my PC to connect the drive but I believe this PC to be to OLd(its a 1989 Micron brand) to use the USB port because the USB ports never really work except for mouses and pin drives.

So I tried to use my sisters PC. It is newer and is a Dell. It still did not work. She has Windows Vista and I beleive this could be the problem but I am unsure.

I am not a tech guy. I am somewhat stupid when it comes to computers but I try to do what I can. I need help anyone can give me as to what I nned to do because I need the files from that hard drive and do not have the money to pay the $200+ I was told it would cost me to fix the problem.

Can anyone help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I use a External Hard Drive Case to retrive files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I use a External Hard Drive Case to retrive files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick checklist...
by John.Wilkinson / September 6, 2008 1:58 AM PDT

Make sure that:
1.) The IDE cable in the enclosure is firmly connected to the hard drive.
2.) The USB cable is firmly connected to both the enclosure and computer. If it's a desktop, connect the USB cable to a USB port on the back of the PC.
3.) The power cable is connected and plugged in.
4.) The on/off switch on the enclosure has been flipped on.

Also, touch the hard drive and see if it is spinning once turned on.

Post the results and we'll go from there.
John

P.S. Your sister's OS is not a factor in this issue.

Collapse -
All steps done
by jphernan / September 6, 2008 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick checklist...

1. there is no cable in the IDE. It is just pushed together. But yes it is connect correctly.
2. Yes the connection to the all connect correctly and in the right ports.
3. No power cable or on and off swith.

4. But when I have everything connected it is spinning. I can feel it running. and the desktop is saying that there is a Mass storge devise connected. But I cannot open it or use it or do anything. BUt everything seems to be working. THe IDE has a green and red indecater light. When it is first connected the light turns green. THe it stays red. I would think red means it is not working.

THank you for what ever help you can provide.

Collapse -
Device Manager
by peteygummz / September 10, 2008 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: All steps done

try checking your device manager to see if Mass Storage Controller is correctly installed with drivers, if not you may want to update that and then your drive should recognize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.